Riding near Bergerac, South France

nicwat
nicwat Posts: 18
edited July 2008 in Routes
Hey all,
I'm off to the south of France in a couple of weeks with the girlfriends family. I figured I'd better take my bike!
Does anyone know if there's any decent tracks, trails, downhill, jump spots or anything else you can think of around Sarlat near Bergerac? Apparenlty we're in the middle of a national park so I'm just hoping they at least allow riding!
Cheers.

Comments

• nickquinn293
    nickquinn293 Posts: 257
    See you didn't get a reply - Did you have any joy with this yourself "en vacance" - I'm going to Grolejac in the Dordogne - relatively near where you were. We're taking the bikes as a family but I'm hoping to get some "me time" at some point - Even if you found any good route info websites? I've had a look but no joy. Any advice welcome. Ta
  • Hi Nicwat
    I'm also heading for Sarlat believe it or not - what did you find if anything? I've tracked down an MTB centre in Vitrac on the web just a few km down the road from Sarlat - did you happen by there?
    Any steers would be much appreciated
    Cheers
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • nickquinn293
    nickquinn293 Posts: 257
    Hi - I just got back last week.

I did a bit of lightweight biking with my wife & young uns.

It would appear that there is ample opportunity for off road stuff.

The whole area is covered by the Randonee routes which I believe are walking routes, but many of our cycles on our route guides ran along along the randonee routes so I think you would be okay using them.

There was also a really good off road cycle route system in the area between sarlat and Grolejac which appeared to follow old railway lines. It is tarmac but well maintained and takes you through some beautiful countryside. You're also well away from the roads. When I was on these routes I could see numerous singletracks branching off from the main path, but I don't know about access etc. I think it's pretty relaxed along as you aren't on private property.

IGN (UK O:S equivalent also do some really good cycle specific maps) - You'll get them at the big Leclerc supermarket in Sarlat.

On an aside - if you haven't been before, the centre of Sarlat where the old medieval buildings are is really nice.

Enjoy!

Check out www.ign.fr

&

http://www.canvasholidays.co.uk/active/ ... rdogne.pdf

Not exactly extreme stuff but worth a look.
  • Cheers Nick
    great report! I'll have the 9-y-o godson in tow so this sounds like just the ticket. He loves scouting routes and he's got a smile to charm the landowners if we end up on private ground
    Thanks again
    "Consider the grebe..."