East Lancs

Super Saint
Super Saint Posts: 22
edited June 2008 in Commuting chat
Does anyone travel down the Lancs between St.Helens and Lowton.

I am planning to start to take this route to work.

There are paths along this stretch but they don't look ideal.

I would prefer to stay on the road all the way if possible, is this advisable on this stretch, as it does get pretty busy, but I would like to keep my speed up as much as possible.

Comments

• RedHobbit
    RedHobbit Posts: 24
    Hi Super Saint.

I haven't lived up there for 18 months, but I used to ride the other way along the East Lancs from St Helens to Liverpool. I have to say, I wouldn't have done it if I had to go towards Manchester. The path to the East of St Helens is in such a poor state that you would shake your bike to bits if you ever tried to do a decent turn.

I saw the aftermath of far too many accidents along the East Lancs to ever want to ride along the road itself. I once saw an abandoned SUV on it's roof facing the wrong in the fast lane! In my opinion it's too fast and there are too many idiots on there. One winter there was almost an accident every week. Not only that but you have to negotiate the M6 roundabout. If you are proposing doing this regularly it's only a matter of time until someone hits you.

I might be tempted to take the A572 out through Parr and Newton Le Willows though
  • I cycle from Newton-le-Willows to Liverpool down the East Lancs.
    The worst part is from Haydock Island to the first turn off to Haydock. Apart from that it's all okay. Short sections have recently been widened and freshly tarmac'd which makes it easier.
    I do short sections on the dual carriage way and so far it's been uneventful.
    Also it appears that St Helens council have started cleaning the cyclepaths of rubbish, so broken glass etc is cleared. I'm hoping that the recent improvements are part of a plan to improve the path along the full length of the A580. :roll: