Cycling in Kefalonia

Adrian Waine
Adrian Waine Posts: 284
edited May 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi,
Does anyone have some relevant info on the above? Road biased preferred, but off road would be good too. If there are any tracks or routes you could send, that would be great (Garmin Etrex Summit). I haven't decided wether to take my bike or hire yet either, so any pointers would be good.
Cheers
Adrian W.

Comments

• xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    Hi,
    My wife and I toured through part of Kefalonia last spring. For routes I would suggest hiring a bike, the island is not that big and you can possibly ride around it in a few days, I don't think shipping a bike would be worth the trouble.
    And you could get all the information you need from the hire shop for maps, routes, best places to go, what to see, and level of difficulty you would like, most if not all speak english.
    cheers :)
  • Adrian Waine
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. I found a website for a cycle hire place in Argostoli, which is about 10km from where we are stayling, so should be convenient. I can't remember the name at the (senior) moment. Do you have any specific recommendations? I'm going to take my own tools , tubes, puncture kit etc. Probably saddle too.
    You never know I may even be able to prise my wife off the beach!
    Your "most if not all speak english" comment was reassuring as I'm a bit boggled by the Greek alphabet. It's very cute though!
    :roll: Cheers
    Adrian W.
  • xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    About recommendations, I would definatly visit Fiskardo in the north its a great little village, we stayed there for about a week about 15 years ago and when we saw it last spring nothing much has changed other than a couple very big hotels a few kms out of town. The ride from Fiskardo to Myrtos beach than downhill to Ag. Efemea and along the coast to Sami was very nice indeed. But you need to be carefull on the downhill, just before Ag. Efemea the road gets very bad and you need to slow before.
    As for puncture kit and spare tubes, you'll probably get one with the bike and most likely the phone number of the guy so he can come and help you out in case of serious problems. Send them an e-mail I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out.
    The saddle would be a good idea though. Don't worry too much everyone is pretty cool on that island.
    cheers

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. I found a website for a cycle hire place in Argostoli, which is about 10km from where we are stayling, so should be convenient. I can't remember the name at the (senior) moment. Do you have any specific recommendations? I'm going to take my own tools , tubes, puncture kit etc. Probably saddle too.
    You never know I may even be able to prise my wife off the beach!
    Your "most if not all speak english" comment was reassuring as I'm a bit boggled by the Greek alphabet. It's very cute though!
    :roll: Cheers
  • Adrian Waine
    Hi,
    Many thanks again for you help, I'm really looking forward to the trip.
    Happy cycling :D
    Adrian W.
  • GT Zaskar
    GT Zaskar Posts: 1
    Hi Adrian,
    Just returned from Kefelonia.Have been there three times in the last six years and hired a bike each time.My advice is, go to Panbike In Argastoli.It's owned and run by an extremely helpful man called Pantelis.I hired what he called"a simple mountain bike"think it was called a Zig Zag.
    When I told him that I intended to climb Mount Aenos on the bike he handed me four inner tubes, a set of tyre levers,the wheel nut spanner off his tool board and a rucksack.
    He put the bike on his workstand and gave it a quick service before I took it,which is something that you won't get in the normal hire places.A very pleasant man to deal with and a true pro.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've never cycled there but my advice would be to drink plenty and have fun. We hired a little car there and we had to turn the aircon off to get up some of the hills :D

It was very, very hot too.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Kef
    Kef Posts: 21
    For the info, PANBIKE shop is closed. He transfered his bike shop in Thessaloníki city.
    i write this so nobody gets an unexpected surprise..
    :-)
  • Adrian Waine
    Thanks for the info - could save some searching!
    Adrian W.
  • You can hire from this shop : AinosBicycleStore at 63 Sitemporon Str.(+302671026874). Vassilis & George are very helpful , they hire Mongoose Specialized & some other + they have good service. You can find them on FaceBook also.
  • Thanks for the info - could save some searching!

You can hire from this shop : AinosBicycleStore at 63 Sitemporon Str.(+302671026874). Vassilis & George are very helpful , they hire Mongoose Specialized & some other + they have good service. You can find them on FaceBook also.

https://www.facebook.com/AinosBicycleStore?fref=ts