spam from a sportive organiser

vermooten
vermooten Posts: 2,697
Just got a spam message via the Dragon Ride's database - it's a pretty cheap thing for the DR's organisers to allow, especially given the high cost of entry. Is it £25?

A class act - not.
You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers

Comments

• shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    That sucks.

How do you know it was the Dragon dudes?
  • vermooten
    The text mentioned the DR - I think it's a car company that sponsors the DR. Registers 5/10 on the annoying scale.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Booboocp
    Booboocp Posts: 1,156
    Andy, send me an email - derekb9037[at]yahoo.co.uk
    <b>Event Website:</b> http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Isn;t that against the data protection law? Unless you ticked the box saying you were happy to be spammed.....
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    i also received the spam about the car sales offer :x
  • vermooten
    Yes I also get occasionally spammed by everyday cycling - and they seem outraged when I ask them to take me off their list. Annoying.

Manchester Wheelers
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Set up filters to direct messages from their email addresses directly to the trash.
  • vermooten
    ricadus wrote:
    Set up filters to direct messages from their email addresses directly to the trash.
    yes a good idea! The only downside it means that I won't have the opportunities to be outraged that they're spamming me. Oh well, will have to take it out on someone at Tesco instead.

Manchester Wheelers
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    vermooten wrote:
    The only downside it means that I won't have the opportunities to be outraged that they're spamming me.

Wonder how outraged they would be if you used the existing laws to claim against them.

Most companies and websites use opt-outs rather than opt-ins because they are more effective. You can however withdraw your opt-in to a structured filing system at any time. It's entirley possible to have your entire health record destroyed, but not your police record.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • vermooten
    I always opt out, and I never opt in --- but I also know how easy it is for an desperate emailer to ignore such things whether on purpose or not. I suspct everydaycycling is run on a shoestring and relies on someone keeping a spreadsheet up to date, occasionally using data from an old version etc etc etc

Manchester Wheelers