Basics question: what do I need?

Kafka\'s Doll
Kafka\'s Doll Posts: 208
edited May 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hullo all. My experience of the rest of the forum suggests that this question will probably have been asked a million times. But it also suggests that people will be kind enough to answer anyway!

So a friend and I are cycling from Paris to Burgundy, intending to stop two nights on the way at campsites (therefore carrying our own equipment). We'll be eating out though, so no cooking. We're going in early June.

So the things I know I need:

-- A lightweight tent.
-- Bike spares (inner tube, pump, mini tool, levers, lights).
-- Water bottle.
-- Clothes (jersey, gilet, bib shorts plus some other stuff to wear when we arrive).
-- Maps.
-- Hiking towel and shampoo.

The things I wonder if I'll need:

-- A proper sleeping bag -- might a blanket do in France in June?
-- My cycling jacket -- it's lightweight , waterproof and breathable, but in London I've only needed it in the depths of January.

If you can help me with what I've forgotten -- and doubtless point out things I never knew I needed -- it'd be much appreciated.

I was intending to carry all this in my Ortlieb panniers (I ride an Audax), and was wondering whether I needed the duffle bag to sit between them, or whether I could just strap the tent on with bungees.

Any tips at all much appreciated. It's my first attempt at a cycling holiday/tour.

Comments

• Dayvo
    Dayvo Posts: 1,882
    Don't bother with a sleeping bag, but take some kind of silk sheet with you; warm (or cool, strangely enough), very lightweight and compact.
    I recommend a small airbed for extra comfort, such as an Exped.
    Bungy cords will be fine to fasten your tent to the panniers.

Have fun and good luck!
    I get knocked down . . . but I get up again . . .
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    FWIW, my tuppenceworth:

Yes, take a sleeping bag - if it's too warm you can open it out and use it like a blanket or sleep on top of it.

A sleeping mat's useful for comfort, it can be difficult to get a good nights sleep on even small bits of gravel, twigs or uneven ground. Likewise, an inflatable pillow or if you've got enough clothes stuff a jersey with them to make one.

Take your waterproof jacket and any other wet weather gear - be prepared for the worst - a whole day out in bad weather can be miserable, without waterproofs it can be miserable x10.

Some string, or something to make a clothesline, and a few pegs to dry out towels or wet clothes.

Sun cream. Even if it's overcast you can still burn.

A boote (sp?) in case you get a slashed tyre.

A few spare spokes for a quick repair or in case the LBS doesn't have the right size.

Cable ties - they're useful for all sorts of things.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Kafka\'s Doll
    Kafka\'s Doll Posts: 208
    Thanks both. Sounds like some kind of bed needed then. But what's a 'boote'? I did wonder whether I needed to take a spare tyre (aside from the one around my waist).
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    ...... But what's a 'boote'? I did wonder whether I needed to take a spare tyre (aside from the one around my waist).
    It's an emergancy measure to get you home / to a bike shop.

Most people make them by cutting a piece out of the side wall of an old tyre. If the tyre gets a small slash, say 10mm, the inner tube will balloon out through it and pun**re. The boote goes between the tyre and inner tube to prevent this happening.

I've made a few out of old (old style) washing-up liquid bottles. Cut out ovals of varying length and sanded down the edges. I've only had to use one once, but I rode around on it for 2 weeks without a prob.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Seen tyre repairs done with the side of toothpaste tubes- obviously the squeezy ones not the pump ones! :D Just cut one up and there you have a tough thin flexible patch.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....