Carbon fibre bikes give you cancer....official....

2»

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I don't know, as soon as I heard the phrase, steel is real, i knew what it meant. Of course its only three words, but you can read a lot into the fact that the owners of carbon fibre bikes don't feel the need to remind the world that their bike exists, whereas the owners of steel bikes do.

The fact that a lot of people who ride steel feel the need to preach to all and sundry, that their bike is real, tells us that steel bikes are one of two things. Either, an amazing ride experience, which is impossible to quantify in mere words. Or that steel bikes are an antiquated relic and one which the owner feels embarrassed about buying.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • NorwegianBlue
    NorwegianBlue Posts: 484
    It always seems a little defensive to me. You see somebodies bike and comment on it. The question "what's the frame made of?" will tend to illicit an answer like "carbon", "aluminium" or "titanium" or, if it's steel, the exact tubeset used and an essay on why steel is superior to any other material.
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    Alot of bike companies offer a crash replacement programme where you get a new frame at a discounted price, that's what swung it for me when I purchased mine last year + lifetime warranty if not damaged in a crash.
    Just a shame I can't ride it because of a back problem. :(

Also got a steel framed mountain bike 14yrs old showing a bit of rust in the bottom bracket.
    Justice for the 96
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    Random thread resurrection....

Has anyone officially died of carbon fibre inhalation then?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I've not seen steelm round these parts for a while, nor the bloke that knew of a good sticker supplier....that's all the evidence I need!
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470

How did you even find this?!? :shock:

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • pinno
    declan1 wrote:

How did you even find this?!? :shock:

I stood on top of Schiehallion with my binoculars and well... time spent in reconnaissance is rarely wasted.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Ti and f*ck the footprint
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639

Whatever happened to that Reddragon guy? We have a right to know!!!!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

I did and since being reincarnated I have decided to ride only steel.
  • pinno
    Gizmodo wrote:
    blah blah blah

Hello mate.
    A Canyon Ultimate CF SLX what ?
    Has it arrived yet ?
    Where have you been, sorting some despots dodgy compooter for enough money to buy a Canyon Ultimate SFX STX VF HIFI WIFI WADA CF SLX 9.0 ?

I'm glad I am not a programmer, you develop seriously bad taste in bicycles :D
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    [the usual b0ll0cks]
    Says the man who rides a Wilie :wink:

Must get the ahh key fixed on my keyboad.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Gizmodo wrote:
    [the usual b0ll0cks]

LOL.

Prise it off with a screwdriver and give the area a good blow out with your mouth or a compressed air can. Stick the key back in.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • pinno
    declan1 wrote:
    Gizmodo wrote:
    [the usual b0ll0cks]

LOL.

Prise it off with a screwdriver and give the area a good blow out with your mouth or a compressed air can. Stick the key back in.

I'm sure Gizmodo knows what to do - he's the Dogs Bollox, the Mutts nuts, the Seagulls lips, the Crows Toes when it comes to compooters - been keeping dodgy South American regimes going for years. Had a great contract with General Pinochet until he died. then Escobar got arrested, Galtieri lost the election and Allende lost the plot whilst he was visiting our dearest Margaret. So he has to take whatever work he can :wink:
    Personally, I would prize it off and paint a symbol on the key. Don't bother giving it a blow job, tie the keyboard to the back of the bike and cycle to Telford - there's some cobbles there, that'll sort it.
  • Deegs
    Deegs Posts: 74
    Pinarello- if it really were like asbestos, you need to seek out this thread again in 20 years.

Interestingly (or not?) re weight of steel- my total bike wt is 9.2kg and that's fulcrum racing7 ie could be 400g off wheels easily, with mainly 105, on a Ribble SLX 56cm I bought in 88. No idea how heavy the frame is, will weigh at next strip down and clean.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Saw a car on Topgear tonight that was made out of pure copper. Looked stunning.

Think this was it...

tumblr_mcufn3F0P91r8zzj5o1_1280.jpg

Peugeot_Onyx_upload_03.jpg
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have you seen the Pug TT bike someone on here has been designing? Looks qutie similar in lines and colour. Absolutely stunning.

peugeot.jpg

peugeot-concept-bike-onyx-IIHIH.jpg

1349190394334-1o7dgdfmauqb6-670-70.jpg

Peugeot-Design-Lab-Concept-Bike-Superbike-Onyx-DL131-HD-004.jpg