Wheel spoke reflectors

beegee
beegee Posts: 160
edited May 2008 in Commuting chat
Just before I take mine off - has anyone ever found wheel reflectors - the ones that they always fit to new bikes - any use at all ? I cannot ever remember in all my years of driving a car noticing these reflectors.

I do remember when I first saw pedal reflectors about 30 years ago - they were amazing - they shone like two up and down beacons in car headlights from a long way away. But oddly I don't notice them anymore. Perhaps I need to get some glasses.

Comments

• phil_ss1
    phil_ss1 Posts: 194
    I find that spoke reflectors only seem to be that noticeable when a bike is travelling at 90 degrees or so to a car (like passing a side road road) but it's probably too late if the bike is directly in front of the car!

I concure on pedal reflectors, but my SPD's don't have them, I'm thinking if I ever get a road bike for the weekends then I'll swap my SPD's on the commute hack to the single sided version with refectors so I can comply with the law and be seen (or is it to stop a good lawyer from reducing any claim 'cos my bike is unlawful??)

P
  • Phil_SS1
    but it's probably too late if the bike is directly in front of the car!

I agree, pretty much a waste of time.

During the winter months, I use a couple of widgets called "Fireflies", these are little battery operated led lights that fit onto the valve caps of the wheels. Really do get the motorists attention, and they produce enough light to reflect off other parts of the bike, so the bike looks like the cycling equivalent of Vegas :D
    I also use a standard LED light strapped to my ankle, so it's going up and down and round and round, works really well, and because it's a light, rather than a reflector it's on all the time.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    As phil_ss1 says, I can't really see wheel reflectors being much help; they might help the truly unobservant notice a bike right in front of them, but chances are it's too late by then. On the other hand, having them fitted is highly unlikely to be a bad thing.

Personally, I have neither spoke nor pedal reflectors. However, I use 3M Scotchlite bands on my trousers when commuting - they're visible from any angle since the bands go all the way around my ankles, they're moving both up and down and in a circle as my feet pedal, and they're highly reflective and visible; I reckon they do the job of any reflectors I might have on my bike, and do the job better.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,770
    During the winter months, I use a couple of widgets called "Fireflies", these are little battery operated led lights that fit onto the valve caps of the wheels.

Dirk, can I ask where you bought yours from, how much they were, and how long the batteries last please?

Do they come in any different colours?

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • DANIEL B:
    Dirk, can I ask where you bought yours from, how much they were, and how long the batteries last please? Do they come in any different colours?

Mine flash blue and red, not sure about different colours. I bought them off E-bay, although you might find them in a motoring shop, or just google it.
    They are Light and movement activated, so you don't have to faff about switching them on and off. I think the first set of batteries lasted about a month, that was about 45mins to an hours use 3-5 days a week. I did find a supplier of batteries who were quite cheap (22p ea) but I had to buy a Hundred, so anyone needs any CR927 batteries let me know.
  • cupofteacp
    cupofteacp Posts: 578
    I've found the little reflective stickers are quite good stuck to wheels and also on the crank arms.

I did this during the winter and noticed that motorists were giving me some extra room, now I don't think they make any difference
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • daniel_b
    Thanks Dirk,

do they only fit to schraeder type valves though, assume they won't fit to presta?

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I bought them with a presta adapter fitting, works fine.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    I think I've only ever seen the whirly wheel reflectors once...Now, whether that's cos everyone has taken them off or not, I don't know...they did attract my attention, I was waiting to pull out of a junction and the bike was going in the opposite direction on the other side of the road!...So, no good to man nor beast really IMHO

Get some 3M scotchlite ankle bands (modern trouser clips!!) but I wear them over my socks at night...because they are (nearly) always moving and are visible from all directions I think they are one of the best passive ways of being seen.

Well those and some retro-reflective tape on the polystyrene, kevlar and carbon hat I wear for cycling :wink:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • daniel_b
    I bought them with a presta adapter fitting, works fine.

One of these puppies?

http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/product.php?xProd=3351
    pu48.jpg

All the ones on ebay just seem to say they are schraeder only.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Yeah that's the kiddie.
    Did you find the fireflies on ebay (can't look at ebay here at the office, it distracts us from our work, of course bikeradar doesn't :-))
  • daniel_b
    Coolio,

yep found a selection on ebay, some from hong kong and the like, not sure if they all take the same batteries or not, will have to look at a few listings.

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Are they not a legal requirement?
    It's certainly a legal requirement to have them fitted to a new bike, but it might be ok to remove them after purchase (like bells).
  • beegee
    beegee Posts: 160
    According to the department for transport website :the following reflectors are required to be fitted to bikes when first sold: White front reflector (unless a front light is fitted), red rear reflector, pedal reflectors and side or spoke reflectors.
    But generally the rule is : Any cycle which is used during the hours of darkness or during periods of poor visibility MUST be fitted with the following: white front light, red rear light
    red rear reflector, amber/yellow pedal reflectors - front and rear on each pedal.
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Ok, you've got that angle covered then! :D
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    beegee wrote:
    But generally the rule is : [snip] amber/yellow pedal reflectors - front and rear on each pedal.

Ok, so how do we get around this one with spds???

Will my white scotchlite ankle bands keep me out of trouble with the law?? :?
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • phil_ss1
    phil_ss1 Posts: 194
    I presume SPD's are illegal with no reflectors and that ankle bands don't count as they are not on the pedals and probably not E, BS or type apporved (or whatever they need to be)..

Don't think that sticking Scotch-wot-not on the SPD's would count either!

Phil