Carron Valley - Stirlingshire

Dizzy the Egg
Dizzy the Egg Posts: 153
edited June 2008 in Routes
Two questions:

Anyone know the quickest way from South Glasgow off peak?

How would you rate it?

Comments

• allyharp
    allyharp Posts: 57
    I'm not sure about the travelling directions, I'm from North Glasgow and I think the quickest way for me to get there is the Crow Road over the Campsies. From South Glasgow I'd reckon heading up the motorway towards Stirling would be the best place to start.

It's definitely worth having a look but I don't think it's worth a lot of travelling to get to. It's very short and you ride quite a lot of fireroad to join it up.
  • u02sgb
    u02sgb Posts: 4
    Has it been a while since you've been there? They've added some paths in that miss out the fire road at the start. From South Glasgow get on the M8, off the A80 at Denny and then follow the signs for Fintry. There's still a bit of fire road but for a short trail centre blast near Glasgow it's certainly worth the effort. Don't go expecting the Glentress red mind you.

Stu.
  • Dizzy the Egg
    Aye, I've heard it's not the hardest red in the world.

Is it just really a blue course with the jumps at the end making it red?
  • u02sgb
    u02sgb Posts: 4
    It depends how you class a red really. There's some good fast sweeping singletrack through the forest but it's not particularly difficult if you keep your speed down. There's "Kelpie staircase" which is a drop that looks a lot worse than it is. The rocks on it have recently had dirt filled in between them too making it a bit easier.

If you've a full suspension there's nothing that'll phase you but it's good fun and definitely worth a trip. They had plans and funding from the EU to do more in the area but the Forestry Commission were being somewhat obstructive. Hopefully that's being sorted out because it's good to have something so close to Glasgow.

Stu.
  • Dizzy the Egg
    That's too bad if the FC were being difficult. Even something like a small funpark or skills section added would be ace. I know that there's supposed to be a mountain bike course being built for the 2014 Glasgow Games in Cathkin Braes but knowing Glasgow City Council it'll be built 2 years late then sold on for flats the next year!
  • rickmac
    rickmac Posts: 13
    Off peak, up towards Cumbernauld on A80 but turn off for Kilsyth before reaching. At Kilsyth turn right onto A803 then shortly look out for 'Take Ma Doon Road'. Follow this fabulous road to end and turn left. Shortly arrive Carron Valley.

If you like trial riding then it's good fun but don't think you'd being coming back time and time again.