1953 Flying Scot

IsThatRoche
IsThatRoche Posts: 6
edited June 2008 in Road general
Been offered a 1953 Flying Scot for £175. Does this seem reasonable?

I'm going to ascertain that its genuine first but dont want to offer that kind of money if its overpriced?

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    It is worth precisely what (in this case) you will pay for it! There was one on ebay recently starting IIRC 600 quid - no bids. Would have to be pretty good nick (and components) for that sort of money I'd have thought.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    I would probably jump on one at that price if it fit me. Lovely bikes, and very sought after in the right circles.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • onbike 1939
    onbike 1939 Posts: 708
    The Flying Scot was available in various qualities when new so all the frames are not the same.
    I'm just back from a run with my friend who rides a 1952 model.
  • Monty888
    Monty888 Posts: 44
    Did you buy it? 175 quid would be a decent sort of price for a frame in good condition.

I'm on the hunt for a Scot, but it's proving difficult to find the right bike. I went to view one the other day. The frame had incredible chrome lugs on the fork crown. The stays were chromed, too, and so were the fork ends. Unfortunately, the seat tube was in a terrible state. A bit of DIY welding had left the top four inches of metal warped and uneven. Back to the drawing board...
  • GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    I have a 1948 Flying Scot Path model. It is just the frame and forks. I also have a very small 1960's track frame. Both look nice one has A&P tubing. I don't think I will get round to building up. Does anyone know what you would expect to pay for a frame set?