Weight obsession

2»

Comments

• nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    nolf
    It doesn't matter how much power work you do, the bike doesn't get better. You might get faster but it's still the same bike.

Umm... well... duh...?

I was just saying that if you want to go faster, making your bike lighter is often not the best way, especially for relatively untrained amateurs. I'm just agreeing that while making your bike a tiny bit lighter can change performance sligthtly, the extra training will benefit you so much more...

I didn't think what I said was especially ambiguous.

Also try going to a race without shaved legs :)
    I felt well foolish at the BUSA championships because I hadnt shaved my legs in a while! :D:)
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    I...buying it release endorphins in the brain and gives you the feel good factor and prob saves a few grams when you could easily go for an hours run burn off some fat and save as many if not more calories from the overall weight of you and the bike...

What makes me feel good is overtaking somebody on a fancy bike, all tarted up with fancy kit, while I'm riding my tatty old bike and wearing jeans and t-shirt.

It makes me feel particularly good knowing that I haven't spent a fortune, and I'm still faster than him :) The only problem is that it doesn't happen anywhere near often enough :/

I think I peaked when I climbed past a bloke on a Scott Addict with those Mavic Carbone wheels on a Giant OCR3.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    drenkrom wrote:
    What the weight weenies are dishing out loads of money for this year may be what we'll all be riding in a few years' time.

I sort of disagree. What the weight weenies are riding now is nothing new or original,
    most of it is basically just copies of things already made by mainstream parts companies
    with a bit more machining to remove more weight. Which may or may not make it a bit
    less durable. Lightweight seatposts, cranks, stems, bars, saddles, and the like are nothing unique,
    they are just made from less material, thinner tubing, etc. Oh, they are lighter, I won't deny that, and, within reason, lightweight is good. I just wish someone made something to make me lighter. Oh, they do, it's called a diet. Only problem with those is they aren't very much fun.

Dennis Noward