Budget Bikes

Dunch1979
Dunch1979 Posts: 6
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
I am new to road cycling, and coming from a mountian bike background I am surprised by the cost of road bikes. is it possible to get something that is half decent for around the £200 mark?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Decathlon did one for £169 last year, think they might have similiar ones this year for £199, when they finally get them.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    other options are 2nd hand bikes, road bikes (racers) should be cheaper, that MTB's in that they don't have suspention, disk brakes etc, this said a with a lot of cheap MTB's they are not expected to be taken seriously off road, and doing so is likely to break/jam parts. while a cheap road bike should cope, though it may well not be the best TT machine.
  • Van_Heerden
    Van_Heerden Posts: 128
    Decathlon are doing a budget road bike with downtube shifters this year for £149! Like Roger said it will get you arounbd but don't expect TT speed. My experience of Decathlon bikes has been good and they seem to be solid. I'm considering one to commute on.
    "The grass is always greener on the other side - unless Jens Voigt has been riding on the other side in which case it's white with the salty, dried tears of all the riders whose souls he has crushed."
  • rossgalway
    rossgalway Posts: 43
    If you come from mtb you will know that you can't get a decent bike for less than £400. Look at the giant scr / specialized allez range. :D
  • Van_Heerden
    Van_Heerden Posts: 128
    I have posted some info on another thread re the SCR 4.0 where someone was asking about bikes for £350.
    "The grass is always greener on the other side - unless Jens Voigt has been riding on the other side in which case it's white with the salty, dried tears of all the riders whose souls he has crushed."
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    rossgalway wrote:
    If you come from mtb you will know that you can't get a decent bike for less than £400.

Rubbish...

I've covered 2000+miles on my £125 Btwin Sport, including Sunday club runs and commuting day in day out in all weathers and it's still going strong....
  • Big Shoes
    Big Shoes Posts: 131
    Mog Uk wrote:
    rossgalway wrote:
    If you come from mtb you will know that you can't get a decent bike for less than £400.

Rubbish...

I've covered 2000+miles on my £125 Btwin Sport, including Sunday club runs and commuting day in day out in all weathers and it's still going strong....

Yes, I have also done a lot on my MTB, i got a GT Avalanche from Evans in the sale, it was the year befores ex-display model (with Rock-Shox Sid front forks which it had on) with slight storage scratches and it cost me £150 and i love it, it is a great ride on and off road.
    Full Susser - GT I-Drive XCR 5

Hardtail - GT Aggressor XC 2

Road Bike - GT GTR Series 4
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Other options include the Dawes Giro and the Saracen Tour 07 - both are well-built, reliable, budget Road bikes - alternately you might get lucky on Ebay and pick a higher specced bike up for reasonable money.
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Edinborough bike co-op have their Revolution Continental at £199 at the moment which seems great value to me.