tow path madness

2»

Comments

• hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    you're definately right there!

what i mean is, what I am basically saying is, if the child isn't old enough to be responsible, the the adult must be, and i accept that its not perfect, but really the adult should apologise for the childs mistake, not start hitting people and throwing bikes in a canal...
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Am I the only one that thinks you were travelling too fast for the conditions? :?
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    Am I the only one that thinks you were travelling too fast for the conditions?

Isn't there a 15mph speed limit on tow paths?
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    Am I the only one that thinks you were travelling too fast for the conditions? :?

based on what? you don't know the speed or the conditions...
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    Hoathy wrote:

based on what? you don't know the speed or the conditions...

It's a shared path, there were boats used for dwellings there, you probably should be only going at about 6mph.
    Shit does happen but sometimes cyclists can be in the wrong and this might be one of those occasions.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Am I the only one that thinks you were travelling too fast for the conditions?

Presume you are referring to me. In which case please read the thread - it wasn't me cycling, it was a colleague.

I rarely cycle on tow paths. I find that a safe speed on them is much lower than I can go on the road, so I cycle on the road. I think the legal/design limit for share used paths is 15mph, which in my opinion is way too fast. My colleague says he was going nothing like that fast. Neither I or anyone else posting on this thread really knows.

The only tow path I've been on recently has been the Thames path and then I was towing 5 year old on a trailer bike. We slowed to walking pace everytime we got to a pedestrian.

When I've been walking along tow paths I do see some cyclists being very arrogant - expecting peds to get out of their way, acting as if they have more right to be there than the pedestrian. I can imagine that if you live on a boat, this gets REALLY irritating.

Of course none of that justifies what that bloke did but I don't think anyone was really suggesting that it did...

J
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    Has he managed/tried to get his bike back yet?

Surely he can't wave goodbye to £400 worth of bike?

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Sorry - I meant your colelague.

The evidence? He braked hard, flew over the handlebars and hit the kid. if he were in control, riding to the conditions, he would have been able to brake safely, stop without crashing, and give way to the kid.

The fathers reaction was OTT, but understandable. Imagine lots of cyclists whizzing past your front door every day then one hit your child as they were on the pavement outside your house. What would you do? I thik a lot of us would punch the guy. it might not be 'right', but it is human.
  • mailmannz
    mailmannz Posts: 173
    Bah, you dont have to be traveling at a hundred miles and hour to go over your handle bars if you braked hard but weren't prepared for it. Ive hit a drain, not going much faster than walking pace, and ended tits over arse on the ground...got a good view of my handle bars as I flew over them too!

Mailman