London to Brighton both ways

R0bbc
R0bbc Posts: 3
Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever done the BHF London to Brighton both ways? I live in Brighton and am thinking about riding up early doors (5-6ish) then turning round and coming back with the official ride.

My question is - for the route up to London, can I use the same roads as the ones used on the ride, or are they closed both ways meaning I have to plot a different route altogether?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    At that time you could ride either way with little two- or four-wheeled traffic on the roads. IIRC the northwards bound side of the B roads are open anyway.
  • cannyscott
    cannyscott Posts: 41
    i did it last year but started in london . it was a tough ride i went up to lewes then up to ashdown forest and into croyden. but if your leaving early enough it shouldnt be a problem although first riders are out at 6 i think and if you leave london too late you will walk up most the hills as it gets too busy to ride.
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    I did it a couple of years ago, again starting with the main group in London.

Way down was great

Way back, along the A23 on my own because I didn't know any better, was desperate.

No idea about the roads, I would guess the closures close to Brighton won't go in that early and there are loads of options once inside the M25
  • firsthippy
    firsthippy Posts: 639
    Yeah the A23 isn't very nice. I rode there and back (200k) last year? I've done it again since although not on the official L2B. The volume of people on the L2B is mental though - I'd not do it again.. walking up hills in carbon road shoes is no fun (the second time around).
    You can't ride the same L2B route back because it's blocked and would be almost impossible with people coming to Brighton although the reverse might be doable. The information desk last year was quite helpful with return directions, although like I said I'd avoid the A23 if at all possible.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    look on the Kingston wheelers site for the last topic on london - brighton - london, use the route to get to london, it goes over devils dyke so a different route, you'd need muddle your way from dorking into Clapham but should be easy enough.
  • R0bbc
    R0bbc Posts: 3
    Thanks for all your advice, have now sorted a route.