Clipless pedals

1981miked
1981miked Posts: 259
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Evening all,

I have recently purchased a pair of nearly new Sidi road shoes from a nice man. Couple of questions for you to shed a little light on if you please, firstly they didn't come with insoles, i look onlineat the Sidi website where they are available, however would a good quality sports insole do the same job? Now pedal choice, im looking at a set of Shimano R540 105 pedals on ebay for £20...any good? Im not looking to spend a fortune as im a tight git, now there are other pedals on ebay with the product code number PD-M505 they are Shimano again. Are they multi purpose pedals or are they solely for MTB's? and does it matter that they are for MTB's? Oh and i take it Shimano cleats are compatible with my Sidi shoes?

Spanks for any help people.

Comments

• blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    MTB SPD pedalswont be compatible - you need pedals which take the 3 bolt fixing cleats.
  • 1981miked
    I take it the 105's would do the job then?
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    blackhands wrote:
    MTB SPD pedalswont be compatible - you need pedals which take the 3 bolt fixing cleats.

This is not true in all cases. Some road shoes have also got 2 bolt hole setup as for use with spd (mountain bike) pedals however I would not recommend buying an spd pedal for use with a road shoe as you will not get the benefit of the wider platform which a road pedal would give you which will help to reduce significantly your chance of getting hotspots on your feet during longer rides.

The major benefit of mtb pedals is that with an mtb shoe you have a recessed area where the cleat is on the shoe and this means that it makes walking in these shoes much easier than with standard road shoes which have no recessed area and thus the cleat is stuck right on the on the bottom of the shoe making walking difficult and downright dangerous however if you are not going walking about much in them then you will be much better off with road shoes and pedals.

m505 are mountain bike pedals and thus not recommended. The 105 are indeed spd-sl (road) pedals and are a generally considered a decent enough entry level pedal.
  • 1981miked
    Cheers doyler, i don't intend to be doing any walking in them other than from the house to the bike and the bike to the house....maybe nip into the cake shop on the way home mind you!!! Not for me of course. I was looking at the Look keo aswell but the 105 isn't even Shimano's basic pedal so i dont suppose i will go far wrong. Thanks for the advice.
  • 1981miked
    Right can somebody answer this question for me please, is the Shimano Spd-sl PD-R540 pedal the same as a Shimano Spd-sl 105 PD-R540??? Im loosing the will to live over this...if they are different then what is the difference?
  • hwangeruk
    hwangeruk Posts: 22
    The 105 is all metal, and more expensive. (Looks slightly shorter from the pics, but it might not be)

I've got the cheaper R540s, and love em. Large platform, very comfy.
    The R540 is all black, so matches my bikes asthetic :/

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Get the ones that suit your budget. Both are good recommendations, and unless your name is Lance Armstrong, or you do 1000 miles a week, I am sure they will both last a couple of years at least.
  • 1981miked
    I have seen the R540'2 in silver though? And in limited edition team colours, the blue would go with my bike you see. Ah stuff it, ill get the blue one's.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    1981miked wrote:
    I have seen the R540'2 in silver though? And in limited edition team colours, the blue would go with my bike you see. Ah stuff it, ill get the blue one's.

Don't get the r540s, the plastic plate wears out really quickly, get the new 5610 pedals with the metal plate, about £30

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-105-PD-56 ... dZViewItem

They last far longer.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • choppertron
    choppertron Posts: 35
    as with hwangeruk I have the R540's and find them great, I picked them up off ebay at the end of last year for £15.85 inc Cleats P&P, BNIB, did have to settle for Rabobank styling, which may explain the price :D
    If you don't have it, you don't need it.

My 2008 LEJOG