What bike £500 to £700

hopper26
hopper26 Posts: 73
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Hi has anyone got any suggestions. My buget is upto £700 max to spend ona a road bike. It will be my first

THANKS
Born 2 ride!

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    What will it be used for? Racing, general riding? What sort of distances?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • tonyp71
    tonyp71 Posts: 52
    Best advice I can give, along with similar threads on this site, is to go to your LBS, get fitted properly for a bike, try a few out and see which one you like best. I did recently and just got an Orbea which I love. The LBS matched the cheapest price I found online no quibbles and provided an excellent service.
    Hope this helps :)
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Specialized Allez Sport.
    Rich
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Best advice I can offer is....get thee to th'bay!

For example, this "Kuota Kharma Full Carbon Racing Bike / 10spd Ultegra" went for 620 quid a couple of days ago. May not have cost the claimed 1700 quid (tho' that probably was list price) but a lot of bike for the money! And plenty like it. And no doubt more as the credit crunch hits those who bought expensive bikes and then never actually rode them!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Second the advice re your LBS (a proper LBS mind not a halfords or the like). Dont go on a sunny Saturday afternoon either :P . Or not to mine anyway :shock: . Get fitted properly, thats the best advice you can have when buying a first bike in a long time and why I would recommend not going to ebay in this instance.

Did the above one day last year, several hours later I rode home on a brand new Specialized Allez after 20 years not having been on a bike 8) .

Does the £700 take into account a helmet, lights (you might not need lights right now with Summer almost upon us, mine are off the bike now 8) ) water bottle & holder and frame pump? Thats the minimum I leave the house with.