How many times a week......

tbeat
tbeat Posts: 119
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
hi all,
just asking the question how many times a week do you get a chance to go biking? at the moment i get out one evening during the week and a saturday. as a beginner i dont think i could do much more, however maybe i should push myself to a 3rd outing a week? :wink:

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do what feels best! Just don't overdo it to start with, and remember rest is as important as the actual exercise.
  • MountainPete
    MountainPete Posts: 418
    I was just once a week, and running 3 times. I've got really bored of running so swapping it for cycling - I'm now up to 4 times a week :)
  • tbeat
    tbeat Posts: 119
    i am beginning to break into the 2 hour + while on the mountain bike. the place where i go is a real mix of hills, so iam finding my legs are tired a few days after, but as your say, the correct recovery process is also important i suppose
  • danhx
    danhx Posts: 165
    Since its got lighter in the evenings 5times a week. 8-15mile road/path runs after work 3 days a week and then 15mile or so offroad runs at the weekend.

Still building up my fitness, hills still kill me and I have to vary the routes to miss the nasty climbs some days.

2 days resting, normally Monday and Thursday.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well, currently, I'm commuting to work, which is 8 miles each way, 5 days a week as my car is in the garage having (yet) more work done on it (again :roll: ).
    then I go to at least one trail centre on the weekend, sometimes two (coed y brenin, and llandegla usually) and sometimes just head out into the mountains or quarries.
    so at the moment, I guess I'm riding a hell of a lot!

bloody hell, reading that back, it sounds like a hell of a lot, considering I was smoking again until about two months ago!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Try to do twice during the week (10 miles) and one longer one at weekends.

Depending on how I feel, it couild be on teh trails or on the tarmac on my road bike
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    2 to 3 times in the week (8.5 mile loop) and if possible a longer ride at the weekend up to 25 miles. Might be cutting down for the foreseeable future though as our second child is due tomorrow. That said my 4 year old daughter is dying to come out on the bike with me, might try her out on her new tag along later this week if everything goes to plan.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • philt1986
    philt1986 Posts: 1
    I have just started riding again over the last 2 weeks i have been riding to work 3 days a week (15 miles round trip) and also a saturday afternoon in the hills i really need those days in between to give my aching mussels a rest (lost me 8lbs though) :)
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I do short training rides twice a week and a Loop of Cwmcarn XC on Sundays !
  • Ciaran500
    Ciaran500 Posts: 348
    2-3 times a week but its all road work at the moment, really going to have to go exploring for places to go :(
  • timeless1
    timeless1 Posts: 28
    2-3 times in the week depending on how I feel normally around a 10 mile circle.
  • john74
    john74 Posts: 254
    every other day for an hour and 2-3 hours on the weekend, so its ride, recovery, ride recovery etc
    2010 Forme Reve
    2010 Giant Talon 1
  • scotttomo
    scotttomo Posts: 531
    once a week for around two hours (with rests :roll: ) at my local trail then 3-4 miles each way to work when the weathers nice.
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    usually 1 or 2 times a week (would like to make that 2-3 when i get my bike fixed up)
    normally have one early morning ride at 6:30 - 8:30 am before work and a longer one at the weekend

commute by bike most days of the week. (to the city centre at weekends) and try to take a longer 6 mile route at least 1 day a week for training purposes (usually a 2 mile each way trip)
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    once at thetford most weekends and perhaps a midweek ride as well
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Three or four times per week.

Two or three rides of two hours in week, one three or four hour ride at weekend.
  • punctureboy
    punctureboy Posts: 217
    i'm trying to do 5 days a week broken down roughly like this:
    -1x3hrs
    -1x2hrs
    -2x1.5hrs
    -1x1hr
    obviously life and commitments sometimes get in the way. on the 3 hr ride i hit a nice flat canal path at about 10mph just to work on endurance. on the 1hr ride i try to blast through woods etc on technical(ish) trails and really get the heartrate up. the other rides i get on the trails and hit the hills.
    i've only been mtb'ing 3 weeks but i was fit beforehand, and i'm noticing a big improvement in my cycling fitness already.
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    In a week randomly spread 4 x 1 1/2 hr rides and 1 x 2 1/2 hr ride

Variety of road - XC - and trail centre

thats unless I'm doing one of my other energetic activities. :roll:
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    10 miles every weekday morning.

Usually a club ride of 10-25 miles every Sunday.
  • Megatron-UK
    Megatron-UK Posts: 91
    I've just started riding again after about 10 years or so and I've now started again to try and get fitter and lose some weight.

I'm doing two short road/trail rides on an evening during the week; I try to keep a day between each - usually a tuesday and thursday. The route i's about 7 or 8 miles long and a 50/50 mix of road and trail (most farm tracks and bridleways) but quite up and down all of the way. It''s taking about 40 minutes to do it at the moment.

On a weekend I try to do a longer ride of around 18 miles, again 50/50 road/trail. I usually set off about 9am and try to get back before 12.

It's definitely paying off, because after just over 2 weeks I've lost around 4lb and can feel an improvement in fitness each time I go out.

Can't wait for me new bike to arrive!
    Kona Dawg Deluxe ('07)
    Kona Lava Dome ('95)

Losing weight and (slowly) getting fitter...
  • bikeperson45
    bikeperson45 Posts: 415
    Well, I cycle to school (XC route very good) Cycle back. Get home, do some trials for an hour. Saturday long adventure sort of ride (all mountain I'd call it) some trials.
    Sunday mostly trials.
    I like my life, hope I can continue in the future :D
    Me like trials biking me do
  • riggsy123
    riggsy123 Posts: 62
    at the moment Im on 2 - 3 weeknight rides (12 mile road/light trail) and a weekend outing (20 miles plus)

Only been back riding 3 weeks so slowly building up fitness etc