shin spint

acac
acac Posts: 348
hi all can anyone tell me me what shin spint is as i was told thats what i have its painfull in my shine feels like a dager it my shine ?
play hard ride hard

Comments

• jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    do you mean shin splint?
    its when the muscles around the shin become inflammed for a number of reasons, what training do you do and who told you that you have them?
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • acac
    the dotor told me but did not tell me what it was and no i dont do any training it was aday and half later after abike ride i got.
    i hadnt been on my bike for while before that.. :roll:
    play hard ride hard
  • jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    i think most shin splints are caused by running etc? so its weird you should get them from cycling, get another opinion from a walk in centre
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • BeardedDave
    BeardedDave Posts: 1,977
    I'd be surprised if you have shin splints caused by biking. I used to get shin splints quite bad playing football and running. Since I started cycling regularly I've found that it's no longer a problem. If anything cycling helped it, not made it worse. I think it's brought on more by the impact of running, so cycling shouldn't cause it.
    East Anglia Biking Collective!
    http://www.easternbikemonkeys.co.uk/forum/
  • acac
    no i dont think cycleing was the cause
    it was about aday in ahalf later at work it started
    as am one my feet all day just wondering what it is
    am of work at moment becouse of it.
    had it nearly two weeks now
    play hard ride hard
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    Get some Orthaheel shoe inserts. They are designed to help with shin splints, knee pain, fallen arches and a few other things.

I'm using them in my work shoes and cycling shoes. I can say that they have helped with my arches, knee pain and re-aligning my left foot position.

On bikeradar they have some similar shoe inserts on review, but I don't know if they will help with shin splints.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/clothing/shoes/product/insoles-31758
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    I suffered from shin splints from playing so much football on astroturf. The harsh impact is what caused the problems. If your on your feet all day that probably doesnt help. I was told not to walk for two weeks, which isnt very practical when you have a job/social life lol.

Just take it easy and it should clear up fine.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    If you increase or step up the exercise regime, muscle grows very quickly, but the bone does not. You now have stronger muscle flexingthe bones and this causes stress.

IT can also cause a reaction in the "lining" covering the bone, an inflamation of the periosteum In severe cases it can cause small stress fractures.Think of bending a spoon repeatedly.

Shin Splint is often used as a cover all for a number of ailments of the tibia.

We scan about 4 or 5 military trainees a week for these issues.

Bupa do a reasonable "quick Guide:

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/shin_splints.html
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)