Newbie in Lancashire

Tony1976
Tony1976 Posts: 70
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
Afternoon everyone!

Just thought id say a big hello to everyone, not only am i new to the cycling world but this is the first time ive been on one of them there forum thingys as ive always been a bit scared of them in the past! not sure why as you all seem a very friendly bunch.

Anyway i decided to treat myself to a Trek EX Fuel 9 recently, took the opinion that the money i would pay each month to go to a gym could be used for a more enjoyable and effective way of keeping fit, thats what i told my good lady anyway and im sticking to it :lol:

What would you guys recommned, either joining a club or just getting out there and enjoying it?

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    At the moment, I'm in the "just get out there" stage, but I find I can go harder and further when I have company.

I'm trying to get myself into gear (no pun intended) to join up with a local MTB club in Lancaster (Bog Trotters), but I haven't managed it yet. :roll: The advantages of going out with a club, I reckon, are company/new friends to have a laugh with, backup in the case of an accident - having a mechanical failure or a bad injury out on your own can potentially be dangerous, especially if out in the middle of nowhere with bad weather or night on the way - and accumulated knowledge about where to ride. A decent club will likely have regular rides two or so times each week. Going out with more experienced riders is also likely to enhance your own riding skills as you can watch/speak to them and pick up tips on how to ride etc.

Of course, you can always go out on your own as well.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Tony1976
    I guess its just getting over the nerves and having the confidence to just go to a club and get riding, like you say the advantages are obvious when you think about it.

Might just do a few easy trails before i get there though, dont want to be annoying the faster and fitter riders by slowing them down or keeping them waiting.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Where in Lancashire are you? If you're within 20 miles or so of Lancaster, Bog Trotters would seem like a decent option if you have transport (I'm sure there are other such clubs around the county though). They have "beginners" rides on Saturdays that are aimed at people relatively new to MTB riding (e.g. no one gets left behind, and the pace is more sedate than it might be). Although I haven't managed to get out with them myself yet as I said before, they seem well-organised from what I can tell. Rides are listed in advance on their web site (www.bogtrotters.org), and graded easy/medium/difficult/severe so you've an idea of what to expect.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Tony1976
    Im in Rossendale but its only a journey up the M6 to Lancaster, isnt that fair away at all.

Cheers for the info i will have a look on their website and see what they are all about :D
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Well you're in the middle of mountain bike heaven in Rossendale, only downside (and upside :lol: ) is the hills. Does get you fit quickly.

I live at the Bacup end and am regularly out and about. If you fancy coming out send me a pm (I've just managed to convince 2 of my neighbours to start biking, they are both still in the early stages but definitely getting better).

Personally I started by going out on my own, allows you to make your own mistakes etc. without any peer pressure but it is good to go out with others, particularly if they are better than you, some of the guys I get the chance to ride with are way better than me but they do help me push the envelope a bit.

Only thing I would say if you're out on your own is make sure you carry a basic selection of tools, inner tube, snack and coat etc. if things do go wrong you should be able to get yourself back to civilisation.

Just looked up your Trek, very nice bike, gives my Stumpy a run for it's money with that spec.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    Hiya and welcome..i'm a newbie to this biking lark as well....just getting the hang of not having a heart attack whilst going up hills lol.
    You could do worse than join a bike club, i'm joining BAD bikers, a blackburn based club as i'm in Blackburn for my sins lol :roll: http://www.senrabike.talktalk.net/bikeclub/
    Like the other peeps said before, there's the Boggies in Lancaster and another club in Chorley www.groovytribe.co.uk
    And Blazing saddles MTB club round west yorks.http://www.blazingsaddlesmtb.co.uk/
    Just a little selection for ya there....enjoy the bike hun..Caz xxx
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I'm in Burnley, just over the hill (no comments please, Stumpy!) from you.

You've got loads of great riding right on your doorstep - I suggest having an explore around the Clowbridge/Gambleside/Crown Point area. The when you're feeling a bit fitter/more adventurous, come and have a look around my neck of the woods around Cliviger and down the gorge towards Todmorden... :D
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    As if :roll:
    Dave's right, there's some good riding around Crown Point & Clowbridge. Even better over towards Cliviger, only problem is what goes down invariable comes back up (no comments anyone, thank you :lol: ).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Tony1976
    Cheers for all the advise everyone, didnt realise was so many clubs around here but i think im going to get out on my own and learn a bit and get a bit fitter before i look into anything else.

Stumpy thanks for the invite, i will certainly take you up on the offer once ive got a few miles under my belt.