bike improvement, better tyres? beginner q!

Comments

• KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Tyres can make a huge diffence,I run a 2.3 Conti Gravity on the front and a 2.1 Conti Vapor on the back which I find a good combination.I have had Cinders in the past and they are also a good tyre,as are Fire XC.
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    if nothing is worn out then spend it on some decent tyres.

I like Cinders, but they are pretty crappy on wet roots and rocks. High rollers might be worth a look and Nobbly nics, also fireXC pros.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Conti's are spot on! I've had the Fire XC Pro's previously. they were pretty good in all but the most extreme conditions. Running Racing Ralph/Nobby Nics now, but the're a little out of your budget by the sounds. Tyres will definitely make the biggest difference at £50 as Konamike says, don't know about the Cinders, I've never run 'em
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • tomb118
    tomb118 Posts: 32
    cheers for your rapid replies guys!
    Nothing really is worn out, ive changed cables and fitted avid sd7 v-brakes recently (big improvement). I had a crank arm fall off but just stuck another cheap one on as I hadn't got the money for anything better at the time. I have got a creaaky sort of noise coming from the bb i think, i guess that's bad? I was thinking about getting a better crankset with bb but my bike is 8spd and everything seems to be 9spd now so I thought that would mean changing lots of other bits?
    I'll have a look at the conti tyres. if i went for cinders would 2.25 front and 1.95 rear be good? (thats what they have on wiggle!)
  • robmanic1
    Tom, from memory the Conti's are fairly narrow in profile anyway, I'd stick 2.25 front + rear for your kind of terrain(can't really see any benefit from a 1.95 on the rear, someone will probably prove me wrong!) Of course it could just be that your ridng too high pressures, in which case you could save your hard-earned until you can afford a new chainset + BB.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

• tomb118
    ok, cheers for the advice. I was having a look on here yesturday and read somewhere people generally have a thinner rear tyre. I'm planning on a quick blast later on today as a revision break so will try lower pressure in the front.
    As for the bb/chainset could i fit say a shimano lx chainset to my bike without having to change anything else?
  • robmanic1
    Just make sure everything's good and tight, check your cranks and pedals, the creaking could just be a loose connection somewhere, could even be your seatpost, it's often difficult to tell whilst riding. Try standing up pedalling see if you can still hear the creaking, in my experience you would usually get a grinding noise if your BB bearings are on the way out.

• tomb118
    Went for a quick ride earlier amd I found the creak. its coming from my left pedal so i guess its the bearings and its driving me crazy!
    So i can get some new tyres, been looking at the conti ones on your reccomendations. i tried reducung the pressure in my front tyre and it did help a bit, though I still don't trust it and am waiting to get binned over the bars! I have a question about them though, what is ProTection and is it worth paying the extra money for it?
    cheers for your help!