Chain skip after removing/replace my Powerlink chain.

mrwibble
mrwibble Posts: 980
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
I have made a boo-boo on my Cannondale, I have done only around 500 miles and I took the chain of my bike to clean. Now I get chain skip on the smallest cog on the cassette under load after putting the chain back on the bike. Obviously I have replaced the chain the wrong way around, so what is the best way to rectify the problem and placing the chain back in the previous position before I removed the chain? Obviously due the miles the (road only) replacing the chain and cassette is the last option at present.
Any help would be brilliant.
Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what chain and what powerlink?

where is it skipping? one place or a few places?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mrwibble
    smallest cog on the rear
  • nicklouse
    and the chain and the link? and where is it skipping? is it constant? or at one point....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • mrwibble
    I bought the bike in January, the only thing I can think of is that I have put the chain back on the bike in the wrong direction with regards to how the it has worn itself in with the cog for the previous 500 miles. The chain is the PC-991, cassette is PG-970.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    I think the point Nicklouse is trying to make is, does it skip once per revolution or constantly during a revolution? If just once it'll be a stiff link or incorrectly installed powerlink. If constantly somethings worn, I've never considered putting a chain on back to front as a problem, surely the rollers between links should rotate and wear evenly thus counteracting this potential problem?
  • mrwibble
    Right then, I think it was a combination of a couple of things, the chain was a little dry (even though I regularly clean it) so I have lubricated it and secondly, I have changed the direction I have put the chain back on . I think I have got the correct way this time. I have adjusted the rear mech indexing because I think the barrel adjuster was too tight.

Thanks everyone.
  • nicklouse
    and the connecting link was a genuine sram power link? or some other as there are right and wrong ways of fitting them... chain direction does not matter.
  • mrwibble
    nicklouse wrote:
    chain direction does not matter.

Doesn't the chain wear-in, in the direction of how it is originally fitted? Powerlink came with the chain.
  • nicklouse
    yes and no as the chains have rollers. for the chain to make a difference by being put on the other way round it would need to be almost dead.

as you said lack of lube is the most likely problem and adjustment.

but you have still not said if it is a constant jumping or if it only happens at one point.
  • mrwibble
    It seemed to happen straightaway after changing into that gear, I think.
  • nicklouse
    so it happens all the time in smallest (12T cog) and only in that gear? check that there is no crap stopping the chain seating. that the gears are set right and that the cog is not worn.