newbie advice

big manc
big manc Posts: 16
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all. Got back into cycling in jan. I ride a couple of evenings in the week and a sunday afternoon , rides ranging from 15 to 20 miles evenings and 20 to 25 miles on a sunday. I would like any advice on how to build up my distance and stamina as i plan to do manchester to blackpool ride. cheers.

Comments

• You're in the same sort of position I am, I guess. My work and family commitments mean that I rarely get time to cycle more than 15-20 miles in one go. I guess I've become reasonably efficient over that distance, but on the rare occasions that I get to have a longer ride I don't always do very well. In my view, 20 miles isn't long enough to develop toughness in the, um, saddle area, nor a proper understanding of how I will need to refuel on a long ride.

Having said that, I'm fairly sure that I could ride from Manchester to Blackpool right now, today, if I had to, and without any further training. And most likely so could you. After all, every year thousands of people cycle from London to Brighton who don't get on a bike from one year to the next. You see them all pushing their old nails up Ditchling Beacon. The distance is about the same as Machester to Blackpool.

It just takes a long time, that's all. Cycle 20 miles, have a rest. Cycle another 20 miles, have a rest. Cycle another 20 miles, job done. Collapse in a quivering jelly-like heap, and have a week off work :)

My experience from my own racing days -- now thankfully decades in the past -- is that if you want to cycle distance 60 miles efficiently, and a good pace, without a week off work, then you need to be training regularly at distances of at least 30 miles. And you need to do at least one or two runs of 40-50 miles before the event.

I don't think there is really any way around this. (But if there is, I'd love to hear about it). If you're doing a long-ish event for fun (not as as a race), and it's likely to be a one-off, I don't think you really need to kill yourself to get in more riding that you already are -- you just have to accept that it will be tough, and take longer than you might like.
  • big manc
    thanks for post like you said work and family are a time killer so im gonna start riding to work to get some extra miles in. as for saddle toughness im riding on the mother of all razor blades
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    howdy I am doing the manchester to blackpool as well and the manc to liverpool as a warm up taster in two weeks.

I signed up because I wanted the longer distances after losing 5 stone cycle commuting into work in manc over the last year. Knowing however it would be longer distances I have been out doing 25+ mile rides and this weekend did a 45mile out blackburn way packed with some decent climbs. I have just ordered my road bike and so all this has been done on my hardtail mtb....something I thought might kickstart my fitness.

Anyways I intend to hit the 40-50m once a week until the event on much harder terrain so I know its easy enough. Was out 4 hours in the saddle on sun and 2 hours on sat and have to be honest learnt a lot more doing those rides in terms of taking on food and pacing than I have in a year of doing 10-20 mile rides a few times a week. I am looking forward to getting my road bike and getting out on the same routes to test the difference.

I agree its not a race and can be done leisurely but for me its the start on getting to the best fitness I have ever had and hopefully one day in the next year working my way up to being able to join a club nearby.

Plus if anyone has done the previous manc to blackpools can they give in insight on the route in terms of hills etc.

Just plan it in where you can my man but if you can spare 3-4 hours once a week for the next 6 you should be able to get enough big ride experience in to do it with ease.
  • big manc
    Thats a serious weight loss, respect. What should i take out with me food wise as at the moment just taking on plenty of fluids . i have seen plenty plenty of bars and supplements in LBS but range is mind boggling.i would like to go out riding up in saddleworth but havnt got cahonas as yet to do it on my own. what road bike are u getting
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    you could start by trying some energy bars and gels, you could pay for the SIS ranges which are very good

http://www.scienceinsport.com/

or as you will be quite local in Manchester you could try the Decathlon brands of Aptonia gels and bars they taste fine and seem to do the job (Honey bars & fuits of the forest gels)
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    My problem is getting faster. I can ride 80 miles no probs. But regardless of whether I ride 30 miles or 80 miles, I'm stuck in the same average speed of about 26km hour nad can't seem to get faster.
  • big manc
    Oh well no house keeping for the missus this week, a trip to decathlon is in order
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    I have ordered a Cube Peloton. For a first bike I looked at the usual suspects in the 500-700 range and was considering a ribble build too but I liked what I saw on the cube and the spec for it given the hollowtech BB etc so I am looking forward to seeing the difference on the road over doing it on my MTB.

Fingers crossed it comes in before the bank holiday :)

And the weight loss sounds great but when you have more to lose its easier to get rid of the pounds. Now I need to step it all up (hence doing 40+ mile rides minimum at weekends) to carry on towards the lower body fat I want. Will get there though.

As for food I personally take out oat type bars and even the odd sandwich if I am going to miss lunch and take on a bit of food after long lenthy series of hills. At some point should I do the 100 mile size rides (as planning for aug/sep time) then I will move onto finding one of the more efficient gels or powerbars that the taste is none offensive.
  • big manc
    The cube looks a cool ride. Hope u get it in time to have some fun. foodwise i will give some bars ago but for me carrying butties the ride will be over after about 5 miles with me on a park bench munching away GARRY H you doing 30 to 80 miles in one hit u are at the level ii want to get to. plenty training to go for me
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I find that regular rides like you do works quite well, but once I was doing a 30+ (or more than 2 hours) miler at weekends the differences started to show.

If you can ride a few times in the week as you are and then do 30+ at the weekends then after a few weeks distances of 60+ are not difficult
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • big manc
    Not long got back from tonights ride did 2 and half hours .The last half hour was a killer so just took it easy and coasted home but i know sore legs is a coming tomorrow. Does anyone have any food cravings after a ride. mine is fruit by the ton load