Bib shorts advice

nolance
nolance Posts: 79
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
I know its probably been asked dozens of times on here but has anyone got recommendations for a good pair of bib shorts,especially ones with plenty of padding in the nether regions.

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    What's your budget, and how long do you spend in the saddle. You will be hard pushed to get better than Assos, but they're quite expensive (but last forever).
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Budget no consideration? Assos Mille
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • tubby531
    tubby531 Posts: 18
    I've been using Lusso for about 6 months without any problems.
    reasonably priced and comfy.
  • I got mine from Aldi. £6.99 :) They seem absolutely fine to me, although the padding is a bit too far back.
  • As well as the padding you need to check the length.
    I'm told I've got a relatively long back and bib-shorts often make my eyes water when I pull the straps over my shoulders - very uncomfortable
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    If you are on a budget have a look at the DHB stuff that Wiggle sell. I have a pair of shorts and a pair of 3/4's as well both really comfortable for a budget brand IMHO.
  • Mystique
    Mystique Posts: 342
    Just to echo comments above, I have Lusso Coolmax & DHB Earnley bib shorts - Both are just fine (I've done 100 milers in both), as well as being hardwearing & reasonably priced.
  • AndyChud
    AndyChud Posts: 39
    I use some from Ultima. I'm not sure how available they are in the UK but in the Netherlands they're easy to get. They have plenty of padding and are comfortable over long distances. I've done over 500 miles in mine without problems. I got them for €50 (just under £40).
  • lesdon499
    lesdon499 Posts: 29
    I have 2 pairs of Endura FS260 bibs. They are pretty good but I asked a similar question recently aimed at finding out how good Assos were. Bought some and they are! Assos F1 Mille S5, got them from Ribble cycles for £105, bit expensive but taking them from Lands End to John O Groats at the End of June :o
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    My mate was amazed when I bought some Assos shorts. How could I spend that much on a pair of shorts he said. A couple of years later he took the plunge and got himself a pair. He could not believe how much more comfortable they were than what he had been riding in.

I know they are expensive but they really are the best.
  • nolance
    nolance Posts: 79
    Silly me fancy forgetting to put budget in,and how far I travel
    As far as budget goes I'm looking at £50/60 max and distance is optimistically 50 miles.The Assos seem to be popular ,are they in my price range?
    Thanks guys for advice
  • redddraggon
    nolance wrote:
    The Assos seem to be popular ,are they in my price range?

I got my Assos Mille for £70
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I've got more expensive shorts that my £6.99 Aldi offerings, and they are better, to be sure.

But... they great thing about cheap 'n' cheerful kit is you can buy ten times as much as the posh brands for the same price. And what that means is that I really can wear different kit every day without a washing frenzy.

I wonder what your £70 Assos will be like after it's been washed every single day for a whole summer? Or what your bum will look like it it hasn't ? :)
  • redddraggon
    I wonder what your £70 Assos will be like after it's been washed every single day for a whole summer? Or what your bum will look like it it hasn't ? :)

The problem with the cheaper stuff is that the pads seem like nothing more than thick dusters - most of my shorts and longs are dhb, they are fine for <40miles but past that I'm getting sore (as well numb - different areas though).

For daily use and shorter rides ie commuting the cheaper shorts are fine, but I wouldn't be able to do the 100milers I've got planned this summer on them. Reports of the Assos shorts suggest they'll last for ages anyway, but if I wear them out through excess mileage it's not the end of the world.

Of course this is all relative, and some people have backsides of steel and don't even padded shorts.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I wonder what your £70 Assos will be like after it's been washed every single day for a whole summer? Or what your bum will look like it it hasn't ? :)

The problem with the cheaper stuff is that the pads seem like nothing more than thick dusters - most of my shorts and longs are dhb, they are fine for <40miles but past that I'm getting sore (as well numb - different areas though).

It's strange, actually -- the stuff I bought from Aldi this year seemed to have much _thicker_ padding than my posh kit. The posh stuff seems to have some sort of chamois padding (real or synthetic, I'm not sure). The Aldi has a huge thick pad of rubbery stuff, which to me looks and feels rather like the stuff you line computer cases with to cut down noise :)

I'd love to be able to report on how well the cheap kit compares to the expensive on long rides, since I have both; but these days I rarely cycle more than 30 miles so I can't really comment.