Seatposts Shims

dan1983
dan1983 Posts: 314
edited October 2009 in MTB general
How reliable are these??

My bike has a 31.4 seatpost, and that is an extremely awkward size to buy. When i bought the bike i needed a longer seatpost, so bought one (the only one i could find). Now i've seen a nice carbon post i like (massively reduced) and i WANT it!!

But, it doesnt come in the 31.4 size.

So if i was to buy a shim i could get it, but how good are they? will they hold me in place or will i find that as soon as i ride over a mole hill i'll be sitting on my tyre ruining my chances of fatherhood??

Thanks

Comments

• allthegearnoidea
    allthegearnoidea Posts: 4,077
    i use one in min as the curren frame is dfferent to the old and figured a fiver for a shim is better than 40 for a new post! have had no issues at all with it over the past 6 months, woldnt even know it was there as such!
    i think mine's a 27.2 - 31.8or .6 cant quite remember!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I've been usinga shim for around 6 months and haven't had any complaints.

Make sure it's greased as well as the post when you fit it, and take note of the instructions in where the slot should be placed (forward/rearward facing) and you should be fine.
  • dan1983
    dan1983 Posts: 314
    what about if it's with a carbon seatpost? can you still use them then?
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    My mate Rob has a shim on his NRS and it seems to be reliable.Not sure if you can use them on Carbon posts though :?
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I can't see why you shouldn't use one with a Carbon post. If anything, the shim will spread the clamping-force over a wider area than the original clamp did.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I cant see it damaging a Carbon post but I wondered if it may slip a bit ?
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    You cannot use grease with a carbon seatpost and carbon posts are more prone to slipping.

Pace do a special compound that acts as a friction intensifier and anti-seize compound.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • pealy
    pealy Posts: 107
    Splasher wrote:
    You cannot use grease with a carbon seatpost and carbon posts are more prone to slipping.

Pace do a special compound that acts as a friction intensifier and anti-seize compound.

Toothpaste works well too.

(old post I know but someone might find it useful)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Splasher wrote:

you can according to some of the manufactures.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    they are ok if the clamp is good.. The clamp on my Spesh FSR is rubbish and the shim slipped quite a bit, so I replaced the seat post. I was also slightly worried about the strength of the slimmer post in that short a frame.

TBH its a fiver for a shim and 15 quid for a post, so unless you have a really posh post, I'd replace the post.