Rubbing disc brakes

Baz C
Baz C Posts: 29
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
When i picked up my new bike today i had to take the front wheel off to get it in the car ! then when i have went to put the wheel back on i have noticed that there is a very slight rubbing between the rotor and the pads.Should i just keep trying to centre the wheel or do you think that there could be something else that i have done (i'm pretty sure that i have not pressed the brake lever to move the piston)?.

P.S this is my 1st bike in years so i would no be too confident doing anything too complicated :?

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Take it back to the shop and get them to sort it. If it's a new bike hten any problems should be refered straight back to the shop. I'm sure if you ask nicely (perhaps bring in some chocolate digestives?) and he is not too busy the mechanic would not mind showing you what he is doing so you can do it yourself.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just use the bike and bed the pads in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    If you have put the wheel on far too tight it may also rub, as above, just bed them in.
  • Team515
    Team515 Posts: 141
    Think they just need bed in, mines rubbed a little when my bike was new
  • ylawayjdp
    ylawayjdp Posts: 44
    It sounds like the calipers need to be realigned. Depending on what brakes you have this is relatively simple.

Park tools website show you how to do it. I noticed mine were rubbing when the bike got delivered yesterday had to loosen the caliper from the fork a little. Then press on the brakes to get them centered then re tighten the caliber screws.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ylawayjdp wrote:
    It sounds like the calipers need to be realigned. Depending on what brakes you have this is relatively simple.

Park tools website show you how to do it. I noticed mine were rubbing when the bike got delivered yesterday had to loosen the caliper from the fork a little. Then press on the brakes to get them centered then re tighten the caliber screws.

as the bike is new they will be correctly set. ALL pads rub a bit until bedded in and that is all it will be.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ylawayjdp
    ylawayjdp Posts: 44
    There is the chance that when the wheel was removed the brakes were pulled without a disk to keep them in alignment. This would move them out of alignment wouldn't it?

I'm pretty sure thats what happened with my brakes as it was new also.
  • Baz C
    Baz C Posts: 29
    Thanks for the advice , i took the bike back to the shop to get another problem sorted and the guy told me they just needed to be bed in , he also used an allen key on the calliper (i think he moved one of the pads slightly) and the brakes have been magic ever since.

Cheers.