n00b questions

thatscold
thatscold Posts: 50
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello all, I've been lurking for a little while and thought it was time to join as I have a couple of questions

Last year I purchase my first new bike for years, a Trek 6500 http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/6500-9686 I've been riding locally on roads, bridal paths etc, and in Swinley Forest more recently, as it's nearby. I now have the urge to upgrade some parts, and I was thinking of the following.

Adding some disc brakes, the Quad QHD-4 Axis Brakes have had good reviews on this site, is it worth spending more?

Getting a new suppension fork, again the budget recommendations seem to be either Marzocchi mx pro or Rock Shox tora 302. Is it worth getting a remote lockout?

Also, my bike frame is an unfashionable 21.5". I am 6'2" and 15st what length of suppension travel should I go for?

Lots of question I know! Please be gentle. :lol:

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    First up, disc brakes are definitely worth the money - you'll be amazed at the difference that it makes over rim brakes. Bear in mind that your wheels will need to be disc-ready (i.e. they need somwhere to mount the rotors) - if they aren't you're going to need to budget for new wheels too!

As for the forks, at the price range of the Toras, I wouldn't bother with a remote lockout unless you can't stand the thought of reaching down to the fork crown to operate it.

If your frame is the correct size for you, there's nothing unfashionable about it! You're obviously above-average height so you're going to need a big frame to cope with your longer legs and torso (assuming you aren't some sort of mutant with a very long neck or tall head... :D ). So really the length of suspension travel doesn't come into it.

What you DO need to watch out for though is whether the forks that you fit will upset the overall geometry of the bike. If the forks which you choose are too long, you will find that the bike becomes very stable at high speed going downhill, but the bottom bracket will be lifted, raising the centre of gravity and making the bike (and rider) top heavy, and the steering will flop about when climbing. Not good.

Conversely, if the fork is too short, the head angle will steepen - the bike will climb like a scalded cat, but the steering will become skittish and your weight will be pitched further forward. Again not good.

What you need to do is to measure the axle-to-crown height of your current forks (i.e. the distance from the centre of the front axle to just under the lower headset bearing). This is the critical dimension. If your new forks are much more than 20mm over or under this dimension, then you are going to start running into trouble.

Having said all that, look at what your planned upgrades are going to cost. Could you spend the money better as a deposit on a complete new bike???
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • thatscold
    Hi Dave, thanks for your quick response. The idea of a new bike is tempting, but getting that one past the wife could be tricky!

My wheels are disc ready so I think that will be my first upgrade, then at least I can look at forks which do not cater for rim brakes.

I assume from your answer that the amount of suspension travel is purely personal taste? I seems tempting to go for 120mm, but will this be too much?

Thanks again.
  • Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    dave_hill wrote:
    First up, disc brakes are definitely worth the money - you'll be amazed at the difference that it makes over rim brakes. Bear in mind that your wheels will need to be disc-ready (i.e. they need :oops: somwhere :oops: to mount the rotors) - if they aren't you're going to need to budget for new wheels too!

As for the forks, at the price range of the Toras, I wouldn't bother with a remote lockout unless you can't stand the thought of reaching down to the fork crown to operate it.

If your frame is the correct size for you, there's nothing unfashionable about it! You're obviously above-average height so you're going to need a big frame to cope with your longer legs and torso (assuming you aren't some sort of mutant with a very long neck or tall head... :D ). So really the length of suspension travel doesn't come into it.

What you DO need to watch out for though is whether the forks that you fit will upset the overall geometry of the bike. If the forks which you choose are too long, you will find that the bike becomes very stable at high speed going downhill, but the bottom bracket will be lifted, raising the centre of gravity and making the bike (and rider) top heavy, and the steering will flop about when climbing. Not good.

Conversely, if the fork is too short, the head angle will steepen - the bike will climb like a scalded cat, but the steering will become skittish and your weight will be pitched further forward. Again not good.

What you need to do is to measure the axle-to-crown height of your current forks (i.e. the distance from the centre of the front axle to just under the lower headset bearing). This is the critical dimension. If your new forks are much more than 20mm over or under this dimension, then you are going to start running into trouble.

Having said all that, look at what your planned upgrades are going to cost. Could you spend the money better as a deposit on a complete new bike???
    Errrmm......... are you not the idiot who started the learn to spell thread? considering you are so damn clever, how come you get to spell somewhere differently to everyone else? BTW, I have highlighted your mistake for all to see.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    First off I have to ask do you need to upgrade, and if you feel you do, will the parts you suggest be a worthwhile upgrade?

There is nothing wrong with V brakes, especially for the riding you suggest, which is light off roading at the most. Vs worlk very well when set up correctly. Same for the fork. Is it letting you down at all? Sure, a Tora or MX will be better, but only marginally so, and probably be heavier. The disc brakes will add a good pound with the Quad. I just don't want you to spend 250 quid upgrading, add 2 pounds in weight to the bike, and feel no benefit!

Amount of travel: check the frame warranty.
  • punkypossum
    punkypossum Posts: 660
    The hubs on that one are disc ready...as for the travel, you are best of emailing trek, couldn't find the info anywhere in my documents, but my bike had an 80mm fork and they said they would not accept claims if anything longer than 100 was put on it...
    One day, I'm going to buy a cottage in a small village and become its idiot!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, 100mm is the limit I have heard on the Alpha frames.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    By "urge to upgrade", do you mean that you just want to to buy something new and shiny, or that you genuinely feel that you need better performance from the componenys you have listed.
    If it is the latter, these are a really great deal ATM
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1140&categoryId=130

If it is the former I would suggest you try to resist! Perhaps the money would be better spent on some decent cycling clothing, or some new tyres (you can never have too many tyres!).
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • thatscold
    Thanks for the replies.

You are probably all right by saying that I do not 'need' to upgrade. I guess I just want to! I think I am going to get some disc brakes as I have been after some since buying the bike. Those Hayes brakes certainly look a good price. I have found the rim brakes catching mud etc when I have ridden through puddles.

I will leave the fork for the time being, if I'm not going to notice the difference I'll save my money.

I already changed the stock tyres to some Paneracer Fire XC pro's and I have some Crank Bros egg beater pedals and some shimmano shoes.

Cheers.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Paul Sh wrote:
    Errrmm......... are you not the idiot who started the learn to spell thread? :oops: considering :oops: you are so :oops: damn :oops: clever, how come you get to spell somewhere differently to everyone else? BTW, I have highlighted your mistake for all to see.

If you want to get pedantic -

1. Use a capital letter at the start of a sentence.

2. Here, you have used the word "damn" as a verb, where it should be an adjective, "damned".
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Paul Sh
    But i never claimed i was good at spelling and punctuation, i actually admited i had problems in these areas, i also have not started a thread complaining about peoples spelling when i can't even spell myself, unlike you.
  • Paul Sh
    You may like to check page 8 of the thread you started, it seems you are not that clever yourself, you look sooooooo stupid now, don't you.