Saddle height - fine adjustments

Alibran
Alibran Posts: 370
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
When I bought my road bike, I started out with the saddle too low because I didn't feel very stable on it, and wanted to know I could get a foot down easily if I needed to. In the last couple of months, I've been gradually raising it to what I thought was the correct height. I haven't done any measurements - just used the heel on the pedal method - but after I rode it in different shoes decided it was plenty high enough. I usually wear an old pair of running shoes (would like clipless, but can't afford it at the moment), which have quite thick, cushioned soles, and when I rode it in my thin soled work boots, I found I was rocking my hips from side to side to pedal.

Today, I found myself lifting very slightly out of the saddle (never actually lost contact with it, just didn't have any weight on it), to straighten my legs and get an extra bit of power. Is this normal, or a sign that the saddle could go up a few more millimetres? It wasn't the same as getting right out of the saddle. I do that anyway, on steep hills, and what I did today was a totally different feeling.

Comments

• andy610
    andy610 Posts: 602
    if your hips rock from side to side the saddle is too high