Muscle imbalance

2Fast4Love
2Fast4Love Posts: 123
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Ok, so I've read this article here, http://www.bikeradar.com/road/fitness/article/health-muscle-balance-16264?source=newsletter&attr=general/2008/05/15, and I've long suspected that I have a unilateral muscle imbalance in my right leg. Aside from pain in the area of the inside left of my right knee, if I stand naturally my left foot points forward, my right foot points right about 45degrees.

The article doesn't really seem to focus much on correcting an imbalance of this kind, any tips??
Rides a Cannondale Synapse 105.

Comments

• The role of muscle imbalance is pretty speculative at the moment. Where it has been investigated properly (and that isn't much) it has usually been in the context of sports injuries. That muscle imbalance might be responsible for joint misalignments at rest sounds a bit far-fetched to me.

If I were you, I'd see my GP about this, because there could be other things going on.
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    Your foot pointing out could possibly be due to having a flat right foot.

I used to get pain in the inside of my right knee and have a flat right foot. My feet point forwards when I stand, put my podiatrist said that people with flat feet will often put point them out.
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    What kind of pain is it? When I first took up running, I experienced a burning pain in the same place you describe. It got worse during the activity that caused it, and eased at rest, although it never completely went away. It turned out that my foot was tipping inwards as I ran (called overpronation in runners) and I needed specific shoes to correct it. I'm not sure how this would relate to cycling, but if it's a similar kind of pain, it may have a similar cause.