Muc-Off

ValeTudoGuy
ValeTudoGuy Posts: 87
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
Since I just got a new expensive bike, I'm thinking of treating myself to a full set of the Muc-Off product line to clean and lube my new investment.

Can anyone vouch for the quality of Muc-Off products? I have never used them before as I always thought them a bit expensive.

I have done a couple searches and I came across some posts saying that Muc-Off is overly aggressive to the paintwork etc. Has anyone got experience of this and can give any examples?

Also what’s everyone’s bike cleaning routine from start to finish?

Thanks in advance

Marc

Comments

• Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    The brushes are really good. Never seen the point of bike specific washes, use washing up liquid.

As for cleaning:
    -Hose down the bike, shifting as much of the crap as possible.
    -Clean the cleaner bits first, followed by the drivetrain then the tyres and wheels. Don't wipe dirty clothes on the discs, as you will contaminate them.
    -Dry the bike, make sure there is no water sat anywhere.
    -Lubricate the chain, I use finish line wet lube.

If you keep the bike clean, its easier to keep on top of.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • gk141054
    gk141054 Posts: 175
    I was looking on the Halfords website today and noticed Muc-Off was on offer which made it cheaper than the Halfords own brand stuff.

Just checked.... its 3 for 2 on Muc Off or GT85...

Can't comment on how good it is as never used it.
  • FAT_ROB
    FAT_ROB Posts: 116
    I have used it, and it does exactly what it says on the tim. Havent noticed it being overly agressive on the paintwork and as previosuly mentioned the brushes are great.

I use a cheaper degreaser for the chain, to use in the chain cleaner (muc off it to expensive to slosh around in that) but then give it a quick scrub with muc off to sort out any stubbern bits.

a quick spray of GT85 (or muc off bike spray - cant tell the difference and a rub with a cloth and it shines like new every time no matter what i do with it

(I use it on my road and mountain bike)
    Never knowingly past a pie shop!

Spec Pitch

Spec Tarmac

Thorn Raven Tourer (with Roholf Hub gears)
  • I have all the Muc Off stuff and also have the bike claeaning manual off their website.
    My filthy rockhopper came up a treat. Recommended
  • ValeTudoGuy
    I reckon im going to give the stuff a go especialy with the 3 for 2 offer!
  • jim17
    jim17 Posts: 14
    The only bad things I've heard about muc off is that if you leave it to long on fox forks it can start to eat the seals on the legs
  • Deadman
    Deadman Posts: 10
    Tesco's have a product the same as muc-off & I've used it on both my road & mountain bike & both have come up as new. My friends use muc-off though & they love it!!!
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Muc-off is good, needs diluting with water though. I tend to use 50/50, makes it last loads longer too.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Deadman wrote:
    Tesco's have a product the same as muc-off & I've used it on both my road & mountain bike & both have come up as new. My friends use muc-off though & they love it!!!

Yep Tesco sell the Weldtite bike wash which is also very good !

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-5383.aspx
  • ValeTudoGuy
    Do Tesco also sell the bike spray, de-greaser and chain lube etc?
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    Muc-off is good, needs diluting with water though. I tend to use 50/50, makes it last loads longer too.

^^ Good call. Would you use 100% Muc-Off for really stubborn dirt? Or is the 50/50 solution good enough?
  • robmanic1
    50/50 Tends to remove even the most stubborn understains, I even dilute it further if I'm running out, still seems to do the trick.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Isnt Muc off a bio degradble water disolvable degreaser, meaning if you dilute it, it will def not work to well after, i have mixed it with water and found it not so good, so just use it sprayed on my gears
  • tjm
    tjm Posts: 190
    don't think "bio degradble water disolvable degreaser" means that. I think it means it will break down over time rather than damage the environment and that it washes off with water.
    It certainly has caused no problem to my lawn where I always clean the bike!

Don't the instructions say to use it on a wet bike? I certainly find that works best so I can't see how a little dilution will do much harm.
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Has Jim 17 says and it does eat your shock seals.

I had used the Hope sh it shifter a similar product and only after 7 rides in
    my Fox RP23 collapsed.

The first thing MOJO said to me was did I use one of these abrasive cleaners.
    His advice was to only use water and elbow grease and not even fiary liquid.

He said these cleaners are like salt on a road they eat the ice then they eat
    the road.

And I only put a couple of squirts into a bucket of water and brushed it on !

MOJO only recommend if you use it to put it onto the wheels, bottom part
    of the bike and wheels if you have to.

So these cleaners kill all your shock seals and also remove the lub thats
    on the shaft of the rear shock and on the posts of your forks.
    Never using this stuff again.
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    Muc off certainly works. I'm sure the Hope stuff does too.

However I do the following:

Hosepipe to clean off the worst of the muck
    Fairy liquid and a rag to clean the bike
    White spirit on the chain - works great
    Hosepipe off residue
    Leave to dry
    Wipe the bike with GT85, lube the chain.
  • gk141054
    shin0r wrote:
    Muc off certainly works. I'm sure the Hope stuff does too.

However I do the following:

Hosepipe to clean off the worst of the muck
    Fairy liquid and a rag to clean the bike
    White spirit on the chain - works great
    Hosepipe off residue
    Leave to dry
    Wipe the bike with GT85, lube the chain.

Sounds like my kind of clean... can never afford Muc-Off....

What does GT85 do?

And what do you lube the chain with if you don't mind me asking?

Do I need to lube the cogs too?
  • shin0r
    gk141054 wrote:

Sounds like my kind of clean... can never afford Muc-Off....

What does GT85 do?

And what do you lube the chain with if you don't mind me asking?

Do I need to lube the cogs too?

GT85 is a teflon lube and water displacer, I give the bike a wipe down with it to stop so much muck sticking to the frame and it leaves a nice shiny finish.

Currently I use Fenwicks Wet Lube on the chain, it does the job well. I don't bother lubing the cogs specifically as the chain transfers the lube when it's running, but it wouldn't do any harm I guess.

Hope this helps!
  • gk141054
    shin0r wrote:
    Hope this helps!

Cheers man, big help....

Should I use a "chain bath" for lubing the chain, or can I just apply the lube direct?

I'm never sure if chain baths are for cleaning the chain or lubing it....
  • robmanic1
    gk, a chain bath is, as it's name implies, for cleaning your chain. if you try and lube your chain with it you'll end up with way too much lube on, which will attract muck like sh*t to a blanket. Lube sparingly, less is definitely more when lubing, especially in the summer. I barely use my chain bath now, I much prefer to remove it and use a toothbrush and degreaser to get rid of the really stubborn understains.

• gk141054
    edited May 2008
    Thank god for this forum or else i'd be in a right mess.... :D

Would love to remove my chain, but after looking at parktools, sounds like too much trouble.

Will just clean it on the bike.

Cheers for the help though guys, very useful.
  • robmanic1
    Depends what chain you've got, if it's a Sram you can just undo the link by hand. Otherwise soak a rag in degreaser and hold it around your chain whilst back-pedalling. That should remove most of the "clag", and remember to lube lightly! Doesn't hurt to do this before every ride, only takes 5 mins and will keep your drivetrain running sweet as.

• I use ALDI general purpose cleaner. £3.99 for 5 litre and it works a treat! Also pretty good for getting curry stains out of your best jeans after a night out with the lads.
  • shin0r
    gk141054 wrote:
    Thank god for this forum or else i'd be in a right mess.... :D

Would love to remove my chain, but after looking at parktools, sounds like too much trouble.

Will just clean it on the bike.

Cheers for the help though guys, very useful.

Bog standard white spirit on an old rag. Turn the bike upside down, grab the chain lightly with the rag in your hand, turn the pedals a few times. The chain will come up like new. I spray the chain off with a hosepipe to remove any residue then add a little lube.

Shi
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Got the cleaner spray (5 litres of it), the brush set, the bike spray and the disk cleaner - all are great and save me ages.
  • Chalky76
    Chalky76 Posts: 260
    I agree with Grantway in that I've just had a similar experience (except I've been using Muc-Off). It had removed the lube from my rear shock and the carbon was creaking and clicking. My LBS said the Hope stuff was not quite as agressive but even then, to use it very sparingly.
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/
  • toslow
    toslow Posts: 85
    I never have experienced any problems with 'muc off ' , but i have heard it can discolour a bikes finish if it is allowed to dry completely .
    Another product range you may well consider is stuff called ' pro clean ' . They do a degreaser for your chain ,a cleaner very similar to ' muck off ' and another called ' pro care ' which you can spray on after washing to drive out moisture . But be warned do not get near braking surfaces. I used to ride motorcycle trail bikes which got completely lagged in mud and this stuff always did the job without any tarnishing problems.
    Another thing it may be best not to use washing up liquid as the chemicals may damage the finish of delicate bike materials over time .I tend to use a car shampoo which is designed for painted surfaces .
  • ValeTudoGuy
    Today I finally got the Pit kit, Disc Break cleaner and Chain cleaner along with some GT85. I’m going back to Halfords on thursday to get the De-Greaser and Chain Lube which they were out of today.

Haven’t used any of the stuff yet but had a good look at it all and I noticed that the instructions specifically say and I quote "Safe on paintwork, anodising, aluminium, titanium, rubber, plastic, >>>>!!!!seals!!!!<<<<, carbon fibre and disc brake pads"

I’m sure that there would be a basis for a claim if you could prove that this stuff causes degradation to your kit.