Shaved legs - ok, but what about re-growth?

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
I know the topic of shaved legs has been covered plenty enough, but I find the threads do not cover all the required info.

So my question is: after shaving your legs, have any of you let it grow back to normal length, and if so, is the hair thicker, blacker and stiffer like when you first shave your face?

Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• Rouge Penguin
    Rouge Penguin Posts: 347
    Wax those Mutha's
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I let mine grow back during the winter. Same old hair. Although it is getting grayer.
    Then again, so is the rest of it.

Dennis Noward
  • nah just grows back to how it was
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • claash
    claash Posts: 145
    Rouge penguin has the right idea!!
    Started waxing approx 1 year ago.......and hairs are definitely growing back slower and thinner.......It kills :? BUT no pain, no gain!! :wink:
  • wastelander
    wastelander Posts: 557
    Borrow your g/fs epilator 8)
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Epilator is also painful!

TBH i find shaving OK the day or two before an event, however, i do find the stubble seems to be coming back quicker, i might look into waxing options when i get round to leg hair removal this year!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • as far as i know, that growing back thicker thing is a myth - it may initially look thicker because the tips are cut (and so thicker than the normal tapering), and it's also true (i think) that irritation of the folicles (i.e. close shaving) makes hair grow back quicker - but not thicker.

why everyone is shaving their legs i will not ask..
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Yeah, the normal growth cycle of a hair follicle starts when an old hair has reached its maximum length and fallen out. A new hair then starts, but it is thinner at first until it gets going. So if you shave, you basically chop the end off the hair and when you let it grown back it will look different, thicker and more bristly. But eventually when the whole cycle has repeated itself, it will be just the same as before you ever shaved. This might take some time though...

Hairs in different parts of the body grow at different rates and reach different lengths before they fall out. So as someone who has yet to shave my legs I'd be quite interested to know - how long does leg hair take to grow back?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Thanks for the replies.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    I assume those off you whom shave yourlegs are serious racers yes ?
  • wastelander
    wastelander Posts: 557
    Not all - some of us are narcissic and just prefer the look of tanned smooth legs 8)