Ridgeback Voyage . . ?

choppertron
choppertron Posts: 35
edited August 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi Peoples,

Does anyone on this forum have experience of this bike Ridgeback Voyage?

I am planning on getting a new tourer (capped spend of £500 (bike2work)) and really like the look and spec' of this bike but have found no reviews/opinions about this bike (I have searched the forum).

I am aware of the other bikes available in this price bracket e.g Dawes Horizon, Raleigh Royal etc. . . but would really appreciate some comments specifically on this bike.(preferably from experience of it)

It all looks too good to be true.

Many thanks,

(and sorry for another "What Bike?" post.)
If you don't have it, you don't need it.

My 2008 LEJOG

Comments

• doily
    doily Posts: 2
    I got one a ocuple of weeks ago and really like it. But then, I was on a cast iron old Raleigh before so anything would have been an improvement. I considered a Dawes Horizon, but thought the Ridgeback was a bit better spec, though obviously not as traditional a name. Good components so I gather (not really up on all the technical lingo) and as a bonus I got that alpha-dot tracking system free with it.

Very comfy, nice and sturdy but not the fastest bike on earth. Seems well put together, though I'm having a little bit of trouble getting the front derailleur right, it either rubs on the lowest gear or on the highest gear depending on how I adjust it. I hope to get that sorted in the first service.

One thing I couldn't get on with was the pedals, I use it for commuting in London so do a lot of stopping and starting and just couldn't get the hang of the toe straps. I took them off, but had to replace the pedals as they're only one-sided, which annoyed me a bit, but hey ho.

I've yet to do any proper distance on it, so can't really say how it'd be on a proper tour, but for urban commuting I love it.
  • Thanks for the reply,

Great to hear you like it, I'll be swapping the pedals anyway. I also think it looks slightly better specced than the Dawes Horizon.

I'll post up how I get on with mine when I finally pick it up incase anyone else is interested.

My 2008 LEJOG
  • Harveytile
    Harveytile Posts: 227
    SO you got the Voyage yet? It's on my short list so would be keen to hear of any comments. :wink:
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • Still waiting for it - unfortunately it's through Halfords Bike2Work, bike due end of july so missed out on a free set of lights with Ridgeback, thanks Halfords.

Will write something when it comes.

My 2008 LEJOG
  • I've had one of these for six months. Very pleased with it. I've done coming up to 3,000 miles, mostly London commuting with the odd tour and country day-ride. Nice to ride with panniers or without, fast enough, good gear change and brakes. Nothing has gone wrong with it to date. There's very little I would change with it. Even the things I thought I would change like tyres and saddle have turned out to be good.
    The main tweaks I did were to put on a raised stem for a slightly more relaxed riding position (bars up about half an inch and in a bit) and spd pedals.
    If I were being really picky it might be nice to have a slightly lower bottom gear (although I've got up every hill attempted with the current ratios) and there is a slightly wide gap between (about) third and fourth gears which could be a bit narrower. Other than that, just about perfect!