Devices to block holes in bicycle rims?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Is there any devices to block the holes in wheel rims as they keep causing me punctures and normal rim tape is not doing any good, are they called gromets or something to block the holes? Or any hard rim tape? Need something as normal rim tape just does not seem to work.

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Velocity rim plugs.

Dennis Noward
  • Rouge Penguin
    Rouge Penguin Posts: 347
    I've just replaced mine with some raleigh ones from the LBS. Cost about £4 and fairly heavy duty.

Something like the below.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Michelin-Michelin-700-x-16mm-(16-622)-Green-plastic-rim-tape-797.htm
  • Rouge Penguin
    Rouge Penguin Posts: 347
    Forgot to say, in about 1k miles, its not punctured again. Best pint of beer money i've spent
  • Anonymous
    Rim plugs better than the rim tape? Very cheap that rim tape, cheap compared to 4 quid in Halfords :shock: , Might order some to try, aint loosing anything :D.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I don't know why you keep getting rimside punctures, swap the rim tape for some proper stuff, hmm wierd I've never had that problem even with the rim tape on the wheels of my halfords bike.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Well today I went to get these cycling jerseys from someone and I mentioned my rim tape and punctures happening, so what he did was take both tyres off and put some of this greyish/blueish plastic rim tape on and put me a new rear tyre on for a fiver :D, well chuffed, the rim tape is campaglo or something like that.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    willhub wrote:
    so what he did was take both tyres off and put some of this greyish/blueish plastic rim tape on and put me a new rear tyre on for a fiver :D, well chuffed, the rim tape is campaglo or something like that.

Campagnolo. I took that grey plastic stuff off both my Campag wheelsets, it's thick and it's already pretty hard to get tyres on so I took it off for some thinner stuff.

Hopefully you won't get any rimside punctures now as it's pretty solid stuff.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    willhub wrote:
    so what he did was take both tyres off and put some of this greyish/blueish plastic rim tape on and put me a new rear tyre on for a fiver :D, well chuffed, the rim tape is campaglo or something like that.

Campagnolo. I took that grey plastic stuff off both my Campag wheelsets, it's thick and it's already pretty hard to get tyres on so I took it off for some thinner stuff.

Hopefully you won't get any rimside punctures now as it's pretty solid stuff.

Yea it seems pretty good and had 2 practices at taking the tyre and inner tube off and putting it back on and seems to be going alot better than usual :).

Should be all ready to go for tomorrows club ride I think :D