Routes in Warwickshire

bike-errr
bike-errr Posts: 8
edited September 2015 in Routes
Does anyone know of any decent off road routes in Warwickshire?

Those within riding distance of Leamington / Warwick would be ideal!

Comments

• Hi, i've been asking a similar question on another part of this forum, i live in stratford and there is pretty much nothing around here, i normally go along the 'greenway' by the race course and then out towards some of the villages, there is naff all in the way of off-roading but there is a hideous hill near a place called hidcote gardens. i've been suggested going to milton keynes, a place called aston hill or cannock, just north of brum. where do you normally go?

Si
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    Gents, try here, right on your door step......well nearly.

http://www.ashtonmtb.co.uk/

But don't tell um that I sent you :wink:
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • richard_l
    richard_l Posts: 375
    bike-errr wrote:
    Does anyone know of any decent off road routes in Warwickshire?

Those within riding distance of Leamington / Warwick would be ideal!

What sort of riding are you after?

Two possible options that present some general riding.

There is a bridleway trail from Kenilworth Castle towards Hatton, that can be extended with loops round to Warwick Canal Centre southwards, and also north round Beausale and Meer End - should be clear on an OS map hopefully. Not particularly hilly.

Also there is a reasonable network of Bridleways/Byways south from Lapworth canal locks via Brome hall, bushwood grange, Lowsonford, Finwood, Rowington, High Cross, Holywell, Yarningale Common, loop up through Claverdon and down to Barnmoor Green, Kington Grange, Cutlers Farm, Monarchs Way through Austy Wood, Preston Fields, Bush Wood, returning to Lapworth Canal locks. Some climbs/descents on this one. Can also be muddy in places.

Hope that helps
  • there is some great rides oiu on the old railway from Leamington to rugby and stockton :)
    Hi all, new to the forum, I live in Stockton (Warwickshire) and even though I have a few riding buddies I am always looking for other people to go out riding with or even talking " nuts & bolts" guys or girls!!!...
  • Myself and a m8 have rode the old railway between Marton and Offchurch the last few weeks. Great fun, very wet & muddy. Killed a wheel bearing doing it though. lol.

Normally find us at the Diner in Long Itch about 9am on a Sunday having a breky.

Come and say hi !
  • An old thread I know but.............a mate, his son and I have been using the canal towpaths of the Grand Union and the Stratford Canal for a few weeks now between Solihull, Stratford and Warwick, plenty of miles to be had there with a variety of surfaces from concrete, grass, cinder and mud. It's not all level either as the many locks on route indicate. Plenty of decent pubs on the route too. :wink:
    You'll need a loud bell or a good shout as joggers and dog walkers tend to use ipods and always seem to be walking away. A canal pass for a cycle is downloadable but I've never needed it yet.
  • pots
    pots Posts: 109
    short but ridable loop

down the side of st margarets church,whitnash-over railway bridge to the back of
    radford semele - stay at back of radford to pick up bridleway that heads over a hill & through about 4 fields down to the fosse way - south on the fosse to pick up cycle path/bridleway,on the right, just past fosse garage,back to whitnash (along the side of main line railway)
    to golf lane

look at an o/s map if you can & you will be able to see the loop clearly
  • The canals are quite good, I have two routes I tend to do:

1: You can head out of town eastwards on the Grand Union, and just before you get to Long Itchington (about 7 miles) you can join the old railway line Northwards,
    For some of it (mile or so), its a proper cycle way, and after this (there is a big map on the route) you can either follow this on country roads westwards, or carry on the old railway line north for a another mile or so (though there are quite a few brambles on this bit) until you reach the old Leamington-Rugby line (some great views from here), and then head back towards Leamington westwards .

2. The Other starts westwards on the canal, then head north for a couple of hundred yards on the A429, over the roundabout. Turn left just after the roundabout on a small road/ bridleway (think its the milenium route), and follow this to Kenilworth castle.
    At the castle, take the 'midland link' westwards to Hasely Knob, this is mostly undulating over fields. I then take the roads to Shrewley, and rejoin the the Canal back to Leamington.
    Giant Trance X4 (2010)
  • acer2012
    acer2012 Posts: 45
    If you're looking for something a bit more adventurous, still not technical mind, there are quite a few good (well, for the midlands at least) routes just south of Kineton/ Wellesbourne. They'res a great 4.5mile loop that is completely off-road going through Combrook, a 6 mile variation, a great 15miles ish off-road loop around Illminton and various other routes that are worth a visit. Give me a PM if you want more details.

Ah, just noticed how old this thread is! Oh, well.
  • Trigg
    Trigg Posts: 2
    Hi Acer2012,

I've just seen your thread from last month - I am hoping to try my first mountain bike run at the weekend. Is this run suitable? Any more details?

Cheers
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    There's a signposted loop around the villages starting from Ryton Pools. It's a mix of tarmac and bridleway etc, but its a fun way of spending a couple of hours. You can get a printed map at the Ryton Pools gift shop.

http://www.withinwarwickshire.co.uk/exp ... untry-park

There's another loop the council have done that starts at Coombe Abbey, but I've not actually done that one, yet! The above webiste has a few others too.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Trigg
    Trigg Posts: 2
    That's great cheers. I am hoping to do more off road but maybe that Kineton run could be a bit hardcore for my first go! Will give the Ryton route a go I think.
  • xand_xand
    xand_xand Posts: 271
    Hi guys ... I'm just outside of Stratford and have a cpl of good loops my way, have you got means to stick Mtb on car??
    Let me know
    Otherwise I'd happily bomb over your way and do a little exploring.. Always looking for new areas and buddies in this area.
    MY CUBE
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12785430

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!
  • Lowride
    Lowride Posts: 214
    Arsenal!

Could you tell me the location of this please im from rugby but not sure if you are talking about the same railway