How do you stop pins and needles sensation in hands?

eliot1811
eliot1811 Posts: 3
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Hi, I seem to be getting pins and needles sensation in my hands after being on my bike for over an hour. I have tried regulary changing hand positions on my drop handle bars to prevent, but it just gets worse, I have padded tape on the bars. Are there any measures I can take to stop this happening as I want to ride for longer but by the end of my ride my whole arms are numb??
Cheers
Eliot

Comments

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Specialized body geometry range include padding which, they claim, reduce hand numbness by relieving pressure on sensitive ulnar nerves. I have an old pair of them and they do seem to help.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • eliot1811
    eliot1811 Posts: 3
    is that a pair of padded gloves?
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    Padded cycling mitts would be my suggstion. Also is to try and relax on the bike and not grip the bars really tight.
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    I second the suggestion about specialized's body geometry gloves. I had issues with discomfort in my hands before getting them, especially on trails, and that was solved by their gloves. I got some simpler padded mitts recently and they look nice, but the padding is too uniform, makes it harder to reach the brakes and oddly doesn't stop my hands hurting despite being MORE padded. Go figure
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • pieinthesky
    pieinthesky Posts: 417
    If your arms are going numb it might be something other than a problem at you hands. Are you wearing anything which might cut of the ciculation to your arms? Do you have tight elastic on the sleeves of your jersey, do you wear tight arm warmers?
  • Hi,
    I posted a simlar question in pharmacy followed cajuns advice but still happens
    however I noticed when out riding with the sun causing a shadow that i was holding my
    shoulders high so dropped them felt more relaxed on the bike and no more dead arms
    relief i can tell you :) hope this helps

H.M
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Too much weight on your arms? Wrong position on the bike?

OK, I have a pretty upright riding position, so I'm not sure of this works if you're more stretched out, but if I'm into a nice rhythm, I can ride part of the time with my hands near the stem, and there's almost no weight on them. I still get the occasional numbness, but that can be shaken out quickly.
  • hwangeruk
    hwangeruk Posts: 22
    FWIW, I had exactly this problem.

I bought Specialized padded mitts, with the Ulna nerve protection.

I no longer have any pain.