How do you hold drop handlebars?

steelmole@
steelmole@ Posts: 4
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
I've tried cycling with them and I find that my hands start to hurt after a couple of minutes wherever I put them. Also I feel like I'm putting less weight on them than I normally do with flat handlebars. How can I make this a little more comfortable?

Comments

• Try different hand positions. Try different saddle angles (if your undercarriage will stand it :) ) Check that handlebars aren't too low compared to the saddle. Perhaps use gloves or padded handlebar tape (I have both).

I find that I have to change hand positions on my drop handlebars quite frequently for them not to be uncomfortable. But I do that anyway, as the terrain changes, so I don't really think all that much about it.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I change from the hoods to drops and vice/versa regularly throughout a ride and don't stick to either for too long - depnds on the road/conditions/wind/gradients etc etc - you could try getting some Gel palmed gloves (I use them) - they can certainly give a cushier feel and more grip, and if you do come off they'll help protect your hands.
  • chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    Thanks for posting this, I meant to but forgot! I'm never sure if I'm holding the drops correctly as it's never really comfortable

But, this is a little disheartening!

My bike isn't particularly comfy at the moment but I was hoping a good fitment would sort that - so even with a well set up bike as I assume you guys have I'll still be shuffling round on the bars every five minutes?
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    chronyx wrote:
    so even with a well set up bike as I assume you guys have I'll still be shuffling round on the bars every five minutes?

Not if the bike is well setup. For long distances I live on the tops, bar fast sections and descents when I'm on the drops, only really using the hoods when I'm honking out of the saddle.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • chronyx
    By tops do you mean just the 'normal' hand position similar to a MTB?
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
  • redddraggon
    chronyx wrote:
    By tops do you mean just the 'normal' hand position similar to a MTB?

Sort of, but my hands are very close to the stem, a bit like a more upright version of the TT (Tri bars) position.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • chronyx
    Gotcha :D
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
  • steelmole@
    Hmm. I've tried it out a bit further and still I can't really get my hands comfortable at all. It feels like there is a strain on them in any position I put them (at least on the top of the bars) on the actual dropped part it's more comfortable in terms of hands. I do have gloves and the bars are fairly padded.

Also, I noticed how much my core ached after using these drop handlebars for a while on sunday. Is this usual? just using different muscles from riding a bike upright?
  • I can't help wondering -- and I hope this doesn't sound too rude -- whether your expectations might be a bit too high?

What I mean is -- I love cycling, but even after 30 years of practice I wouldn't describe it as comfortable. Even with the best set-up bike in the world, and the best kit money can buy, cycling is never going to be like riding in the back seat of a Bentley :)

The trick, I suppose, is knowing when you've crossed the boundary between discomfort -- which I think is part-and-parcel of cycling -- and pain, which shouldn't be.

If you're changing hand positions a fair amount to maintain comfort, I, personally, think that's to be expected. I suspect that reddragon might be the exception rather than the rule in this case :) But if my hands actually hurt, wherever I put them, then I would take that as indicating that something was wrong.

It's a very individual thing, I guess, how much comfort you expect on a bike. For my part, I wouldn't cycle with my hands on the drops for very long, because my old back won't stand it. I find the tops and corners moderately comfortable, the hoods less so.

I appreciate this doesn't help, of course. :/
  • redddraggon
    I suspect that reddragon might be the exception rather than the rule in this case :)

I wouldn't say I was "comfortable" on the bike but as you put it there's a difference between pain and discomfort. I happily cycle all day within my comfort limitations, but I get a numb bum, and my back can ache a bit, I just have the got the bike set up so that my hands don't suffer that much.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dave7348
    dave7348 Posts: 13
    Steelmole, you don't say how long you've been riding.

Sitting on a bike for more than a few minutes takes time for the body to adjust.

Have you spoken to any of the local club cyclists and asked them to see if your bike is set up correctly?

You should be putting roughly 1/3 weight on each of the following - saddle, 'bars, pedals.

The advantage of drop bars versus straights is the abilty to make minor movements of where you hold them. By gripping the bars in different places you should be able to fnd about 7 different positions for your hands, unlike straights, where you are limited to only about 3.

Don't spend much time on the drops ("hooks" in club parlance). Even the pros don't go down there except when they're REALLY trying hard.

Stick with them, but do get an experienced rider to have a look at your position first.

Join you local cycling club! :)
  • steelmole@
    When I talk about it being uncomfortable I mean in comparison to the bike I usually ride(a marin kentfield is you're interested). I've ridden it 50 miles before and had a bit of soreness, but not the same as what I'm talking about now. I'm not worried about the muscle tiredness around my middle because that'll adjust as my body gets used to it. What I'm talking about is it takes around a minute before my hands become uncomfortable and get a sort of cramped feeling at the base of my thumb. If I leave my hands in the same place it becomes painful quickly.

I don't know what you mean by how long have I been riding. Ever since I was a kid? I mean, I don't do any "serious" riding, just use it to get where I'm going, with some longer recreational rides now and then.

I guess I'll have to find some more experienced cyclists and ask them in person for position. Thanks for your help anyway.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    steelmole@ wrote:
    I've tried cycling with them and I find that my hands start to hurt after a couple of minutes wherever I put them. Also I feel like I'm putting less weight on them than I normally do with flat handlebars. How can I make this a little more comfortable?

Normally less weight on your hands, while they are on the bars, is a good thing. Not as
    much pressure on them. They should feel at least a bit better than on your flat bars, which you claim had more weight on them. Generally on a road bike you want most of
    your weight supported by the saddle(you want to SIT on it) so that your not holding
    yourself up with your arms and thereby putting extra pressure on your hands. The seat
    is where your body is supported, not the bars. Anyone?????

Dennis Noward
  • dave7348
    dave7348 Posts: 13
    Just one more thought

If the bike is set up more for racing, you will be sitting with your head lower down and your arms more out in front of you (stretching).
    If it's set up more for gentle, leisure riding you will sit more upright.
    The former will put more weight on your wrists than the latter, but the more energetic riding that goes with it, will take some of the weight off as you pedal down harder.

Perhaps a shorter stem would help (this will allow you to sit more upright), but that costs, so get advice from someone who can see you on the bike first before spending your cash.
  • cyclingfury
    cyclingfury Posts: 676
    Agreed. Decide what sort of riding you are likely to do and get your bike set up accordingly. I think the modern trend for having low handlebars accounts for a lot of discomfort amongst many cyclists. Unless you are particularly supple, riding in a position similar to the pros is bound to give some riders comfort problems.
    I am finding my preferred cruising position is with my hands on the outside of the curve on top of the bars, i.e. 3 or 4 inches behind the hoods. The only problem with this is that there aren't any brakes there and half my riding involves commuting through central London.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    biondino,

does that suggest that the top tube / stem length is a bit big for you? I would have thought it makes sense to optimise the fit so that the hoods are at comfortable reach?

J
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    i'm on the hoods 75% of the time.

use the drops for downhill or annoying head winds.

use the tops only for taking the pressure off my hands. or sometimes when I climb.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Jedster, it may sound ridiculous but I've never thought of that! The bike feels comfortable, with the hoods the place my hands go when I'm pushing a reasonable pace, while the area I mentioned or the inside of the top of the bars (where I have auxiliary brakes) is where my hands go when I'm taking it relatively easy.

I wonder if the bike is a bit big? Certainly the rest of it - a 58cm Trek 1200 - fits me perfectly, and I'm pretty normally proportioned. Something to think about!
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Yeah, I guess everyhing is a bit of a compromise. I have slightly short arms relative to legs and torso so I went for a slightly shorter stem. Still I think I could do with half an inch less reach to the hoods. Guess it also changes with bar height etc. I may try rotating the bars slightly to bring the hoods up and back a tad.

I ride on the hoods most of the time, on the drops downhill. When I'm pushing or into a headwind I alternate between the drops and holding the top of the hoods with my forearms resting on the tops to get a bit lower.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I forgot to add I'm 6 foot tall with 34" inside leg and relatively long arms so something weird'd have to be going on for the bike not to fit me. Certainly when I do use the hoods or the drops (the latter I am starting to train myself to use in advance of my ride to Paris in July) there's no undue stretching involved. I guess I just prefer the more upright position (and may well regret purchasing an aggressively pitched new Focus, sigh).

Does anyone else have auxiliary brakes or does it prove I'm some kind of limp-wristed old woman that I do? I suspect the latter...
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    If your bike is the right size and set up correctly for the type of riding that you do, then you shouldn't have a problem.. weight distribution is the key.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business