One Man Conspiracy.......

bonk man
bonk man Posts: 1,054
edited May 2008 in Campaign
Can one person be found guilty of a conspiracy? ..... And the others in the conspiracy found not guilty?????
Just asking as a mate of mine has been banged up and everyone else let off..... stupid jury..

Sorry , I'm just cross about it. :x
Club rides are for sheep

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    If there are insufficient numbers, perhaps it is a "plot" rather than a "conspiracy"?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    bonk man wrote:
    Can one person be found guilty of a conspiracy? ..... And the others in the conspiracy found not guilty?????
    Just asking as a mate of mine has been banged up and everyone else let off..... stupid jury..

Absolutely no reason why 1 person can't be conviced of conspiracy.

Its a bit like saying that where 2 people stab someone to death, but only 1 is arrested, he should not be convicted because the other got away

You can't conspire with yourself (or with your spouse - I think that still survives). However there is no reason at all that only person can be charged or convicted of conspiracy

a) Charge 1 person...
    a) X did conspire with persons unknown or
    b) X did conspire with Y to... [ here Y has not been arrested or is out of jurisdicition/dead/ otherwise not charged]

At Court remember everyone is INNOCENT until proven guilty and it may be the Jury are satisifed on the evidence that X did conspire with others, but are not for example satisfied that Y was one of the others

Only person to be cross at isa your mate for conspiring to commit a substantive offence

What was the conspiracy to do? What did he get for it?

NB Conspiracy is not an offence per se, it is conspiring to commit a [named] substantive offence that is the crime
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • bonk man
    bonk man Posts: 1,054
    No persons unknown were mentioned in the case, it was just the people on trial as far as I am aware.

As Always Tyred says it could be seen as a plot...

I don't really want to talk about the reason [issues] for the case as it is just going to cause trouble on the Soapbox... not to do with bombs or anything like that though. If you can guess what it is about discuss it somewhere else.
    What I will say is is it about protesting and demonstrations.

One of the friends in this case had at an earlier point [ might well have been a separate hearing ] pleaded guilty I was reminded last night. How bloody unfortunate..
    This person is [alleged] to be a tad mentally unstable and has admitted to things they have not actually been anywhere near or involved in........ a lesson there for us all, don't involve loonies in our lives.

But what ever the case the result of this case is possibly a nail in the coffin of [noisy and uncomfortable] protest in Britain, at least will make it easier for the law to crack down on people they see as subversive to the smooth running of the capitalist system.
    The authorities have used a large hammer to crack a small nut and will as usual have the opposite affect from what is hoped. It has politicized a whole load more people who were not that interested in the issues concerned and far from covering up the issues has exposed them to new people.

I am aware of the methods my friend used in his activities and as a reasonable person could see some stuff that I would find a bit dodgy but not illegal or totally immoral , but mostly it was about awareness and politics, the other stuff must have been very annoying to the people he set out to annoy .
    They [the authorities] have to make up new laws to stop people being disruptive and bothering business or the war machine or whatever, they seem to be able to manipulate these laws to get people of the streets and into prison fairly easily but at what cost?

What ever the issues involved we have a duty to hold to account the government, business, neighbours and even ourselves. None of these are easy and the political and law systems are geared up to protect certain rights but as usual they seemed skewed in the wrong direction, whether it is the rights of muggers being seen as more important [perceived or otherwise] than the victims or the rights of big business to exploit our planet and it's resources over the rights of the individual to prevent this abuse.

This is the same stream of law making that will disrupt and prevent previously lawful or at least less unlawful protests such as a critical mass demo or residents closing a street for an hour to protest against speeding drivers. In the main the Law will ignore these events but if one of us is seen to be sticking their head over the parapet too often that head will find itself being cut off and stuck on a spike as a warning to the rest of us not to get too cocky.
    Club rides are for sheep
  • meanwhile
    meanwhile Posts: 392
    bonk man wrote:

Yes. E.g. the jury can be sure that he was conspiring but not sure who with.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Would the others have found the cases against them Not Proven up here?
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days