Tyres for Tubeless Conversion

Jamie Nobbs
Jamie Nobbs Posts: 33
edited June 2008 in XC and Enduro
Basically I'm sick to death with getting punctures... I have a tubeless coversion kit that i got free when i subscribed to MBUK, and was wondering what tyres people would reccomend...

The wheels I'm running are Mavic CrossRides, and I have a Joe's No Tubes conversion kit. I'm looking for some speedy summer tyres, around 2inches wide, any reccomendations?

Cheers
Nobby

Comments

• The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Take a look on tyre reccomendations on www.justridingalong.com
    Maxxis Ignitors would probably be your best bet.
    The new Specialized tyres incorporate their 2bliss technology,which apparently makes tubeless conversion easier.I have read a couple of posts on other forums,mentioning tat they were east to use with a conversion kit,but can`t vouch for them myself.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Jamie Nobbs
    Jamie Nobbs Posts: 33
    Thanks for the advice, I've had a look at the ignitors online and was wondering if you could tell me the difference between the wired type and the folding type, why are the folding more expensive? is it a weight thing? or do they perform better for other reasons?

Cheers
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Thanks for the advice, I've had a look at the ignitors online and was wondering if you could tell me the difference between the wired type and the folding type, why are the folding more expensive? is it a weight thing? or do they perform better for other reasons?

Cheers

The wire have a wire bead,the folding have a foldable kevlar bead.Folding are lighter,due to the bead,but also generally are made from a better compound and often have a better tyre carcass,so they tend to be grippier and a bit more elastic so deform better,which can give a better ride too.

If you go for Ignitors the folding 62a version are the ones to go for.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • big_tex_uk
    big_tex_uk Posts: 183
    I have two sets of tubeless tyres, a set of 1.9 Maxis High Rollers which are v low profile at 1.9 with a low volume and also a set of 2.1 Maxis Crossmark tyres which are a bit larger in volume but very fast rolling and great on hardpack.

Both are great tyres but i would go with the Crossmark for summer use over the High Roller's which are a bit better in the mud.

Never had any problems with either sets and just pull thorns out and the sealant does it job in a few seconds.

I use these of Mavic Crosstrail wheels.
    If i am going out on one i am happy, If i am out on one i am happy, If i have just been out on one i am happy, otherwise miserable!