Broken Spoke

Rouge Penguin
Rouge Penguin Posts: 347
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
While out last night, one of the spokes snapped.

Real newbie question, but is it ok to ride or is it likely to throw the wheel off true (if thats the correct term for it)? Can't make it to the LBS until the weekend.

Ta

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Can't you spin the wheel in the frame and see how out of true it's gone for yourself? :?:

If it's a conventional 32-spoke wheel, you can probably adjust other spokes to get it back to tru-ish as a temporary repair (if you have a spoke key and an idea of what you are doing).

If it's a low spoke-count factory wheel it'll probably be too out of true to ride far.
  • Rouge Penguin
    Rouge Penguin Posts: 347
    Bronzie wrote:
    Can't you spin the wheel in the frame and see how out of true it's gone for yourself? :?:

If it's a conventional 32-spoke wheel, you can probably adjust other spokes to get it back to tru-ish as a temporary repair (if you have a spoke key and an idea of what you are doing).

If it's a low spoke-count factory wheel it'll probably be too out of true to ride far.

Bronzie, its not out. I was asking if i did ride it on a broken spoke, whether it would cause it too.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I was asking if i did ride it on a broken spoke, whether it would cause it too.

It might do, or it might not. Only way is to try.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If your wheel has not gone out of true then all the spokes must be too loose which is probably why you broke one in the first place. It needs sorting properly asap.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    John.T wrote:
    If your wheel has not gone out of true then all the spokes must be too loose which is probably why you broke one in the first place. It needs sorting properly asap.

I'm with John.T. Get it fixed and do it quickly. If you continue to ride it with a broken spoke
    you will probably start breaking other ones.

Dennis Noward
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    The only distance on which you should test whether your wheel will go taco is the distance between the spot where the spoke snapped and the nearest bike shop (or home). It really isn't worth screwing around with damaged wheels, as any kind of failure while riding can be nothing less than catastrophic.