Quite chuffed with myself

FSR_XC
FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Not been road riding long (less than 2 months - & just over a year mtb).

Decided to take a longer route home from work yesterday.

Did a 17 mile undulating route and averaged 20.5mph

I suppose I'm now going to be told that most 'riders' would average over 22mph . . .
Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    FSR_XC wrote:

I suppose I'm now going to be told that most 'riders' would average over 22mph . . .

It depends on how undulating, weather conditions etc for anyone to say what they would average unless they did it themselves.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • schilbach
    schilbach Posts: 101
    Good one! I've been at it for around 4 months and can't get out of the 18's for my AVS for this distance!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Sounds good to me (unless you had a tailwind the whole way :wink: ) - ride a few evening 10's to see how you really compare to others :)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FSR_XC wrote:
    Not been road riding long (less than 2 months - & just over a year mtb).

Decided to take a longer route home from work yesterday.

Yesterday, hmmmm, so you're that guy I passed. Didn't get a good look at you though.
    It all happened so quickly. I thought you were stopped, alongside the road, fixing a flat.
    I probably was doing at least 30 MPH. I wouldn't even bother riding if all I could do was
    22 MPH.

Dennis Noward
  • Bronzie
    Play nice now Dennis :wink:
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Well I was chuffed because I managed to get home from work with enough spare time to squeeze in a half-hour ride before Mrs McBain came back with the little 'un - so I did - and it was ruddy marvellous. 11·86 miles in 34 minutes - pitiful I know, but I was taking time to enjoy the ride rather than bury myself in an aero position to achieve maximum speeds :oops: :wink:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    Bronzie wrote:
    Sounds good to me (unless you had a tailwind the whole way :wink: ) - ride a few evening 10's to see how you really compare to others :)

Speaking of evening 10s am I right in thinking you did the Beds Evening league last week? Are you doing the 11 tomorrow? I'll be making my racing debut. Hopefully the badgers will be well out the way!
  • dennisn
    Bronzie wrote:

Hopefully you understand it was meant as a joke. Ya, right, me at 30 MPH. Downhill with
    a tailwind maybe. Or being hit by a car and dragged along.

Dennis Noward
  • dennisn wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:

Hopefully you understand it was meant as a joke. Ya, right, me at 30 MPH. Downhill with

30mph? I passed you and I thought your were going backwards. I'll bet my turbulence knocked you into the gutter. I reckon I was probably doing about 200mph, but on a good day I can probably hit 250. I have to run solid kevlar tyres, of course, because ordinary ones wear out in about 50 yards.
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:

30mph? I passed you and I thought your were going backwards. I'll bet my turbulence knocked you into the gutter. I reckon I was probably doing about 200mph, but on a good day I can probably hit 250. I have to run solid kevlar tyres, of course, because ordinary ones wear out in about 50 yards.

I bow to the superior bull shi**er. I'm not worthy.

Dennis Noward
  • Bronzie
    Speaking of evening 10s am I right in thinking you did the Beds Evening league last week? Are you doing the 11 tomorrow? I'll be making my racing debut. Hopefully the badgers will be well out the way!
    I did - get there early to sign on - last week there were over 60 riders and some were turned away (max 60 rider field) - I have never seen so many people for an evening 10 :shock:

I did a 28-15 - soundly beaten over 10 (rather grippy) miles by my ex team mate and Elite roadie who did a 22-15. He told me the last time he rode the course, he was slightly slower, but then did a 19 minute 10 on a dragstrip course the following weekend, so don't expect to set a fast time. The must put glue in the tarmac around there. :wink:

Probably not there tomorrow as I'll be saving my little leggies for Welwyn Track on Friday
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    ok, good luck on the track. We have a mutual aquaintance in last weeks winner - riding in pink must keep his feet on the ground though, ha ha.
    The road out to Old Warden is terrible - where its not full of bumps it's uphill!
    I heard it was popular so planned to head there for 6.

Apologies to the OP for rather diverting your thread!
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    dennisn wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:

Were you the wafer thin rider on the 6" long bike, wearing a violet jersey at the back and red at the front? I would have said hello, but it would have taken about a week. I arrived home last Friday!

:D

Edited to add: Oh, and my bike's melted.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Bronzie
    Crapaud wrote:
    Edited to add: Oh, and my bike's melted.
    :?:
    Have you lot been on the hash flapjacks again :lol: