Touring advice

cdjpb
cdjpb Posts: 11
edited May 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi, I'm planning on touring around New Zealand for 3 months in early 2009 as part of a career break. I've got the route sorted and i'll be using a combination of camping and hostels so i'll need to carry my lightweight tent etc.

I've put a deposit down on a GT Avalanche MTB with rear Ortlieb Panniers (40l each), Blackburn Rack and 7l Bar Bag. I plan to swap the tyres for semi-slicks and fit bar ends, I'm a mountain biker at heart so this bike gives me the flexibility to go off-road now and again.

I'm packing light and i'll be taking it easy during the 2500km tour (i don't really have deadlines to meet) but i'm a little concerned that putting all my gear on the back of the bike might not be a good idea for the bike and I have size 12 feet so heal clip may be an issue.

Does anyone have experience of touring on an MTB and should I be worried? Many thanks JB

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Yes - low riders (small at front ) give a nice balance to any bike if you can fit them - P clips etc if you don't have eyes on frame. If you need to push rear bags back for your feet the tip factor will be offset by low riders. I also find it easy to be organised with 4 smaller bags instead of 2 big ones.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Since you've got suspension forks then the best rack option for the front IMO would be and Old Man Mountain rack - http://www.carradice.co.uk/racks-and-attachments/ultimate-lowrider.shtml.

However, unless you're taking cooking stuff you should be able to keep the weight down enough for you to fit everything in 2 rear panniers. I now fit everything into a couple of small front Ortleib panniers (that i mount on the rear rack) with my tent strapped on op of the rear rack. I just don't take all the unnecessary stuff anymore...
    More problems but still living....