Annoying rattle from front of bike - please help!

Springbokminger
Springbokminger Posts: 5
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

I've searched across a few forums and sites and can't find anything that helps. I've got a rattle that sounds like its coming from the front of the bike - mostly when cycling into the wind and/or when my speed is above 18mph. At slower speeds the bike is fine. It's a constant rattle and occurs irrespective of whether I'm pedalling or not. Almost sounds like a washer on metal to and fro. I've checked the brakes, spokes etc. and the "outer" part of the headset - didn't want to try to open it... Also bottle cages, headlamps etc. but everything seems secure? Any help or tips - just a bit worried that a wheel might fall off and I'll be eating tar!!

Thanks,

Cheers

Comments

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Hi,

I've searched across a few forums and sites and can't find anything that helps. I've got a rattle that sounds like its coming from the front of the bike - mostly when cycling into the wind and/or when my speed is above 18mph. At slower speeds the bike is fine. It's a constant rattle and occurs irrespective of whether I'm pedalling or not. Almost sounds like a washer on metal to and fro. I've checked the brakes, spokes etc. and the "outer" part of the headset - didn't want to try to open it... Also bottle cages, headlamps etc. but everything seems secure? Any help or tips - just a bit worried that a wheel might fall off and I'll be eating tar!!

Thanks,

Cheers

how about the little nut at the bottom of a presta valve?
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Gear/brake cables rattling against the head tube or other part? I get this a bit.
  • Thanks for the replies...i checked the valve, but it doesn't have a "screw/washer" - just goes straight into the rim.

I suppose it could be the brake cable - but then (a) how would I prevent it from happening/or test it to make sure its the problem, and (b) why would it start happening out of the blue - it actually first started midway through a race.
    Cheers
  • donaldinho
    donaldinho Posts: 103
    Graham G wrote:
    Gear/brake cables rattling against the head tube or other part? I get this a bit.

I had this, couldn't figure it out at all at first! Was relieved when I figured it out :)
  • so what did you use - just tape them to the frame??
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    If you haven't tried this already, try fractionally tightening the tension in the brake & gear cables - there may be slightly too much slack, causing one of the levers to rattle.
  • ok , will try that as well...at the moment we've had rain for the last few days here (in cape town), so haven't been able to test , but hopefully it will be sorted now!
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    so what did you use - just tape them to the frame??

Frame protectors makes it less noticeable, the rest of the time I just don't let it bother me - I'm happy knowing it's nothing mechanical!
  • bombdogs
    bombdogs Posts: 107
    Why dont you buy some thin cable ties and fix them at different lengths on the frame to secure the brake/gear cables? I had the same prob on my winter bike and that sorted it out.
    Only fixed it by accident when I put a new cycle computer on and had to fixed the cadence cable to the frame.