Exmouth Exodus

Stuww
Stuww Posts: 203
I'm hoping to do the Exmouth Exodus on the 14th June.

It's my first 100 mile ride and my first ever night ride.

I'll be riding a Specialized Tricross, it's my daily commuter that I currently cover around 100 miles a week on.

I usually chug along at an average 12mph as I'm a big chap, not some racing whippet, so I'll probably be tagging along at the back!

What spares \ tools should I carry?

What sort of food should I bring, Redbull and Snickers!!

Will a 1 watt luxeon torch and a small cateye led be enough to light the way, or could you suggest a better lighting option.

Rucksack or pannier??

Sorry lots of vague questions but I'm really just after any tips people can give me on how to survive on a ride of this magnitude!!

Many thanks

Stu

Comments

• Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    I would take the same things as for any longer ride - mini-tool, tyre levers, spare inner tube(s), patches, pump and usually some zip ties and a piece of duck tape.

Your lights will probably be ok if you are used to riding down unlit roads at night with them. You may need to take it easy going down Cheddar Gorge.

Keep an eye on the weather forecast - if it is cold and/or wet more clothes will be needed. Otherwise you might not need a bag.

Unless you are used to riding with a rucksack I would be inclined to use a pannier. I don't really like going far with a bag on my back and had a pannier last year (to keep my spare clothing dry!) but it does drag a bit in the wind - a saddle bag would probably have been better.

Unfortunately I can't do the ride this year but it was really good, even with poor weather, so have fun!
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • Swannie
    Swannie Posts: 107
    Looking forwards to it now.

Got a second set of lights on order. Back up has got to be worth it, and for more hairy parts I will have both front on (both rear lights will certainly be on). Also, I needed a set of lights for the second bike, so might as well :-)

I was going to go with my bar bag, but unfortunately, that fouls the lights, no matter what I try. So it looks like I will be going with pannier for my extra layers/dry clothes for the finish/snacks.

My 2nd century... and it's at night... excited *bounce* :D
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    Another thing - directions.

If like me you don't have GPS and will need to read your route sheet in the dark, maybe a lightweight head torch for head/helmet will be a big help. There are quite a few turns on those lanes in the dark and a light like this helps to read signposts as well.

Have a good one!
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • Swannie
    Swannie Posts: 107
    Yep. Definitely taking my Petzl, for directions, and for the event where I need to see off the bike... fixing a p******** for one. But it certainly won't be on whilst riding.
  • Stuww
    Stuww Posts: 203
    I recced the route last Saturday in the car, it's a stunning route, not that we'll see the scenery at night!!

I know the last 25 miles as it's on my patch, but I'll be using route notes for the first 75, although I think I've ingrained some of it into my brain from the recce and following the route on Google earth!

I've got two 3 watt cree high power led torches mounted on my bars and a cree \ 6 led head torch for reading route notes and looking into corners. Hopefully this will do the trick and light my way through to Exmouth!

Hopefully the weather will be kind to us, I'm looking forward to my first 100 miler and hoping I don't need to call on my misses's support vehicle.

Good luck to everyone riding on Saturday.

Stu
    Specialized Tricross