Continental Explorer Tyre

SuperCove
SuperCove Posts: 127
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
I have been given a pair of Continental Explorer tyres and just wondered if anyone had any experience of running these them before I fit them?
Cove Handjob XC
Giant OCR

Comments

• wheelbuckler
    wheelbuckler Posts: 134
    I have them, don't use them all the time as they came off an older bike but I have had no problems with them when I have used them. Nothing to scream and shout about though
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Allrounder, jack off all trades, master of none.
  • I use them and wouldn't use any other tyre, I love them. weigh about four grams each, roll over anything, grip when they need to and roll quick when not.
    Only thing I'd suggest is to use some form of puncture protection as they are VERY thin (which is to be expected for the weight). I've had a LOT of punctures with them but tbh, the weight they save from the rims is immence (well compared to what I was using before) so I don't care!!

Oh, and I wouldn't use them for DH or anything extreme. I ride light trails and XC riding.
    Train hard, ride easy
  • SuperCove
    Same here... i'll give them a go tonight then
    Cove Handjob XC
    Giant OCR
  • daver79
    daver79 Posts: 23
    Let us know how you get on with them. I've just got myself a pair to replace my specialized resolution's that are almost worn out.

I've seen mixed reviews but the weight appeals to me as my bike is a little on the heavy side. I've gone for the folding protection model so hopefully they will be reasonably puncture resistent.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    They are a good dry weather tyre, but horrible in the mud or on wet roots. Not the best for my area as the area around the Chilterns is all either chalk or clay with stupid amounts of roots and some of it never dries out.
  • SuperCove
    Well they are on and seem to perform very well over light trails, hard pack and on the road, they seem to roll pretty fast but as mentioned previously they do not seem to handle wet roots well... I had a few moments!

I would recommend them for summer riding if you know your route is going to be dry.

The weight saved by fitting these tyres does make a difference and I think I will be keeping on to test as the weather is getting wetter just to really see what they are made of.
    Cove Handjob XC
    Giant OCR