Etape Caledonia

pneumatic
pneumatic Posts: 1,989
Oh dear, I just got my start number (217). That means I am going to spend the entire morning being overtaken and falling off the back of chaingangs.

Why? I am seeded on the basis of my overachievement last year (when the event was six weeks later and I had started training six weeks earlier). No chance of beating my start number this time.

Anyway, it should be a blast and Mark Beaumont is going to be there so I'll see him at the start. I hope he is doing it with four panniers and a bar bag!

anyone else going? If so, say hello as you overtake (Silver Roubaix, Saltire jersey, blue helmet, pneumatic profile).

Fast and Bulbous
Peregrinations
Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

Comments

• pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Hi pneumatic.

I've got number 226 - based on my extremely modest 4:47 in last year's pouring rain. Yep, like you I'm conscious it's much less training so suspect I'll be going down the rankings and not up. Also will be spending the early part watching fast wheels disappearing.

We'll be in the same pen - look out for Sunday Bicycles Silver and blue. Also Scottish jersey although it might be under waterproofs like last year?

Good luck - it'll be a great day i'm sure.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • fraz167
    fraz167 Posts: 142
    Hi,
    Where did you get your start number from? I thought registration was on the Saturday?

Cheers
    Fraser
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    Look under Event Info> Entry Info on the home page. (Which incidentally is lousy for finding out new information.)

I see they now have more than 2000 entries. Could be crowded!
  • arranandy
    arranandy Posts: 688
    Unfortunately I've had to pull out of the event due to a niggling back injury. Not sure if I can transfer my entry to someone else. Anyone know?
    Flying Scot? You must be joking!
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    arranandy wrote:
    Unfortunately I've had to pull out of the event due to a niggling back injury. Not sure if I can transfer my entry to someone else. Anyone know?

Hard lines Andy

don't think you can transfer, maybe worth contacting them to see if you can get credit towards next years entry
  • cannonfodder
    cannonfodder Posts: 183
    Hi Guys

1506 , might be wearing a Cambridge CC shirt and on a Condor 'Rapha' team - starting back at 7.22 - so its going to be crowded.

Driving up today with my mate who is a Scot and not a southern jesse (see above ;-) ) who will be on an Isaac.

Cheers

Stu
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 826
    Hi

I'll be there on an Amazon wearing the dubious blue polkadots of Action Medical Research. eMailed my previous event times to etape c ages ago and got an out of office from them about it yesterday. 7:20 start for me then.

Looks like the weather's going to be good. Enjoy!
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    Hi

I'll be there on an Amazon wearing the dubious blue polkadots of Action Medical Research. eMailed my previous event times to etape c ages ago and got an out of office from them about it yesterday. 7:20 start for me then.

Looks like the weather's going to be good. Enjoy!

I got the impression they may be doing a rejig of starting places tomorrow as the entry is still currently open.

I note that they have not used all the numbers up, (for instance I think 130 -150 have not been used)

Consequently it may not be too late for a change of seeding :wink:

I'll be in aRed (with yellow detailing)Confidis top whith white back panel

Good luck to all
  • simmo3801
    simmo3801 Posts: 486
    Hi there. Race No 1111 start time 0716 on black Planet X and blue Assos top. Feel free to say hello as you pass!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know if you have to take your bike with you to registration. I think I read that somewhere.........

Heading up tomorrow mid afternoon as only a few hrs from me 8)
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • tambo46
    tambo46 Posts: 19
    Number 1284, start 7.18 (eeek!) its going to be cold at that time of day. Wearing the pink maglia rosa in tribute to the Giro. It's the closest I'll get to it. Looking forward to a day of suffering....
  • BillR1
    BillR1 Posts: 271
    4.15am rise on Sunday for me to travel up. Number 966, 7.12am start, I think I will still be sleeping at the start so wake me up as you pass !!

Going up at 4pmish to register, I believe you have to take the bike to have timing chip fitted etc.

White Cervelo, CSC gear

BillR1
  • BillR1
    BillR1 Posts: 271
    Looks like you don't have to take the bike at registration. They issue you with all the numbers and the chip and it's up to you to fit it, just checked the web site.

See you all on Sunday.

BillR1
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    My wife and I are 903 and 904 off at 7:12. Not sure what to wear as it looks bloody cold according to Metchedk. We will be on cervelo and pinarello bikse. I will probably be wearing my winter red assos jacket - 5C is cold and my wife in a blue assos top.

glad to see that the bike is not necessary for the check in. We are staying in Aberfeldy and doing a spin on Sat pm as warm up.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    BillR1 wrote:
    Looks like you don't have to take the bike at registration. They issue you with all the numbers and the chip and it's up to you to fit it, just checked the web site.

See you all on Sunday.

BillR1

Hope you have a good time Bill. I would be doing this but for the hassle of registering the day before annoys me and I slated the event last year for it. Hope all the forumites have a good day out and enjoy the scenery - its second to none.
    Brian B.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Brian B wrote:
    BillR1 wrote:

See you all on Sunday.

BillR1

Hope you have a good time Bill. I would be doing this but for the hassle of registering the day before annoys me and I slated the event last year for it. Hope all the forumites have a good day out and enjoy the scenery - its second to none.

Yep, complete pain, we have booked a B&B in Aberfeldy to avoid the double travel.
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    With 2000 starters tomorrow I doubt that we'll get away in half an hour forget registering as well!! I know it's a bit of a hassle but can't see an answer with that many people.

Anyway, I really have to really commend the Mavic support there today.

I registered around 11.00 and they'd gone through 30 bikes already checking set-up.

I'd had a problem with my front R-Sys wheel - a feint grinding noise - and asked them to look it over. Turns out that there's a production issue with <1% of the wheels that the locking ring is undersized and moves.

Next thing they've stripped it down, replaced the rings with better fitting ones, added some fixing clips to make sure it doesn't move, whipped out ALL the spokes and replaced them. Then trued the wheel before handing it back with a smile and "have a great day tomorrow"....

I know that it would have been covered under warranty but they could have said for me to go back to the shop and go through the hassle of sending it away, but didn't. I was MIGHTILY impressed.

Spoke to their head guy there and they are seeing these kind of events as a better way of getting in front of real customers with real service. A PR activity no doubt but I'd rather see that than another £100k spent paying TdF riders to use their wheels...

Oh and BTW those who think that R-Sys spokes are fragile...one of the French mechanics laid my old ones against a step and jumped on them....nothing! Not even a crunch.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    just settling into bed. up at 4.15. that'll be 6 and a half hours sleep max. See you all at the start line. I'm just a little excited!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)