30-40 mile rides near Reading

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
I recently moved to Reading and am still in the process of finding good bike routes. I live on the edge of the University Whiteknights campus, and am looking for 30-40 mile routes I can do over ~2 hours early in the morning or in the evenings, so ideally they will avoid the really busy roads and get me out on to quiet roads quite quickly. Anyone got any suggestions?
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• Russell Smith
    Russell Smith Posts: 229
    Dave I live in Wokingham nice rides South of Wokingham Binfield/Fifield and back in again used by Hounslow CC, check the Routes and Rides and you will see some of mine, not much climbing though apart from the climb to the top of Lego Land !!!

Russ
  • Mystique
    Mystique Posts: 342
    Hi,

I'm in Winnersh (between Reading & Wokingham). You could try heading North over the Thames into Oxfordshire, lots of great quiet lanes & plenty of rolling terrain. I'm sure you could make a decent loop including Caversham, Wallingford, Nettlebed & Henley.
  • Rouge Penguin
    Rouge Penguin Posts: 347
    How about Reading, Winnersh, Bracknell, Ascot, Windsor, Old Windsor, Englefield Green, Virginia Waters, Ascot, Wokingham, Reading?

Probably just about the correct distance, roads should be clear enough as its country route. I'll have a bash with Bikely later as works connection is slow.

There a little bugger of a hill in there called Crimp Hill in old Windsor thats a thigh strainer, shame its not a bit longer.
  • DaveyL
    Thanks chaps. I was idealy looking for routes that get me from the Uni campus out of town as quickly as possible - morning and evening weekday traffic in Reading is pretty thick, and although I have ridden up north of Reading at the weekends, I'm not keen to fight my way through town during the week to go north, and would rather head south as I am based in the south of Reading.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Russell Smith
    Russell Smith Posts: 229
    Davey head out of the Uni across (not literally) the M4 into Arborfield/ Finchampstead/Barkham all South of Wokingham
  • DaveyL
    Cheers - I have an OS map of the area so will look it up.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • South of Reading is pants IMO. Anyway best way to learn new routes is to ride with a few others. Reading CC on a sunday has groups to suit all abilities, no need to join beforehand just come along at 9.00 on a sunday opposite O'Neils, behind M&S in town. Also theres a thursday evening group meet at Shepards Hill roundabout at about 6.45-7.00 its kind of a chaingang for the fast people and a slower ride for slower people its a nice route too.

http://www.readingcyclingclub.com/
  • DaveyL
    Why is south not any good?
    Le Blaireau (1)