road cycling in Cannes

Bagman
Bagman Posts: 311
edited June 2008 in Tour & expedition
I am going to Cannes with work at the end of June. I was thinking of hiring a road bike and putting a few miles in whilst I'm there. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of cycling in and around Cannes? Is there a good bike hire shop and are the roads busy etc. Thanks

Comments

• jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Off there on Saturday for the Film festival and taking the bike with me..During my own research found a cycling holiday company with a good intinery for the area you could DIY . I would like to join them if I had the time ..
    http://www.activeaway.com/cycling-in-so ... france.php

..The Lonely Planet cycling guide has a a couple of nearby routes and the Michelin map inc their website (ViaMichelin) is full "green" panoramic roads..Looks like we are spolit for choice..
    jc
  • Bagman
    Bagman Posts: 311
    jc4lab wrote:
    Off there on Saturday for the Film festival and taking the bike with me..During my own research found a cycling holiday company with a good intinery for the area you could DIY . I would like to join them if I had the time ..
    http://www.activeaway.com/cycling-in-so ... france.php

..The Lonely Planet cycling guide has a a couple of nearby routes and the Michelin map inc their website (ViaMichelin) is full "green" panoramic roads..Looks like we are spolit for choice..

Thanks. Enjoy the festival
  • Chriscommuter
    Chriscommuter Posts: 238
    Yea, i've been there but took my own bike so don't know about hiring.

You can go either way along the coast the route going west eventually going up a good hill which can be a big loop if you have the time and energy. Either way the roads are quite busy but the cars are very good because there are quite a lot of cyclists, sun a.m. especially.

The other route is to go straight out of Cannes up into the hills. Leaving Cannes this way is very busy and not much fun until you get the other side of the main coast road and up into the hills.

Have a good time.

Chris
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Just returned from the area and did St Tropez to the Italian Border on a folder...only 180km at most over a week...staying near Cannes during thwe Film Festival...This does not cater well for the public and is all paperazzi.but managed glimpses of Cllint,Brad,& angela...As for the route it.Depends if you like hills..It was a choice of the low or .medium corniche or.coastal road...There is a high scenic one but it is a motorway..The low one hugs the coast.with nothing too steep..20% cycle path 70%decent roads 10% coffin dodging when the road narrows.and traffic gets heavy....It was marvellous with so much to see..Investigating Side roads down to the sea gave you great views...Managed a circuit of the Monaco Grand prix track on the Brompton a couple of days before the start....No boring bike rides in this area....Most scenic dayt was St Raphael to Cannes..
    jc