Body armour - is it for girls? (Who don't like falling off)

judith_sw
judith_sw Posts: 101
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
I'm well and truly back into mountain-biking now, although my shins bear testimony to some of the rigours of the sport!

At what point should I consider body armour? Are shin and arm pads a good idea and when?

I'm not into falling off, but realise that thiswill be an inevitability at some point. I'm competent on reddish runs and easing up to black, although I have no ambitions to do jumps, daft stuff (even if I would secretly, but I'm 40 FGS!)

Honest advice appreciated :lol:

Comments

• shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    Pads and body armour add to the weight you have to carry around with you. They can be uncomfortable and hot, and can restrict mobility.

However ask yourself these questions:

1: Do you want to reduce the chance of ending up in hospital if you crash?
    2: Do you want to reduce the chance of being off sick from work if you fall off?
    3: Are your body parts harder than rocks?
    4: Are your bones made of some exotic material or are they just bone?

This post will doubtless get a few replies along the lines of "you don't need protection unless you're doing hardcore downhill" but then you don't need airbags or a seatbelt in your car until you crash either.

Helmet, knee, shin, and elbow pads for XC, and body armour and a full face helmet for DH for me, every time.

Shi
  • LordBanks
    LordBanks Posts: 358
    I've been looking for some shinpads, any recomendations??? I used to ride BMX years ago and i had some neroprene wrap-around type, but i found them hot and they also stank of fish?!?!?

I also think wearing abit of protection makes you ride better, gives you abit of confidence.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    After seeing a friedn have to get his knee stiched back up, and performing the trail side first aid, i think at any level, light shin and knee armour is a sensable item to own
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    I remember watching a video on wired.com of a guy who invented this rubber type material for outdoor sports protection. The guy was actually trying to produce a new type of bulletproof vest.

The reporter hit the inventor over the head with a spade. Obvisously he was wearing his rubber hat protection, it didn't hurt the guy. He then did the same thing to his knee.

This stuff looked amazing as it was flexible. They even said its being put into clothing already... I haven't seen anything of this.. Anyone else have?
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I borrowed a set of shin pads and found them to be really good,I'm after a set of my own ready for the summer !
  • shisaa
    shisaa Posts: 82
    Slightly off track, but do you find wearing body armour changes the way you ride, i.e. more willing to push your limits?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    shisaa wrote:
    Slightly off track, but do you find wearing body armour changes the way you ride, i.e. more willing to push your limits?
    Annoyingly, yes!.
    Curiously though, I tend to be more confident with knee/shin guards on, so I don't lose control of the bike as often!
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    It does give you a feeling of invincibility,until you come off ,but at least it doesnt hurt as much :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Well, that's the thing, I hardly ever come off when wearing it! :lol:
  • Safety is essential if you want to ride again ;)
    Join me at SackUpSports Community http://sackupsports.com Climbing -
    Downhill Biking - Ski - Snowboard
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i usually wear a set of 661 knee and shin protectors when visiting a trail centre.

However, if im out with a map in the hills, I usually don't.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Milkie wrote:
    This stuff looked amazing as it was flexible. They even said its being put into clothing already... I haven't seen anything of this.. Anyone else have?

Could be the stuff in the new 661 pads?
  • Milkie
    Could be the stuff in the new 661 pads?

Yup thats the stuff !!!!!

I'd be tempted to buy a few things with that stuff inside it. I bet its well expesnive though!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I let the type of riding that I'm going to be doing dictate what protection I use. Does that sound wrong :lol: ?

Trail centres - knee and shin are an absolute must. Also consider elbow and forearm. Depending on which trail centres and which trails then possibly a full jacket and maybe even full-face helmet

General XC - if the terrain is going to be rocky/wet and rocky/technical then knee and shins. Otherwise I don't bother.

Full finger gloves all the time, plus Giro Hex helmet.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Milkie wrote:
    I remember watching a video on wired.com of a guy who invented this rubber type material for outdoor sports protection. The guy was actually trying to produce a new type of bulletproof vest.

The reporter hit the inventor over the head with a spade. Obvisously he was wearing his rubber hat protection, it didn't hurt the guy. He then did the same thing to his knee.

The actual material is called d3O, but 661 are the first to put it into pads.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Milkie
    The actual material is called d3O, but 661 are the first to put it into pads.

Yup, thats it, the orange stuff.

I didn't realise it was a British company tho!

Here's the link to clothing products with d3o.
    http://www.d3o.com/products.php?section=4
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    could have done with some knee and elbow pads for today, going down a loose gravely and rocky hill a bit faster than i should i tried changing direction too quickly and lost the front slamming me down quickly. no injuries thankfully but could have been worse if i was'nt wearing a helmet as i dinged my head a bit. little bit slower next time or chunkier tyres.

main thing though is the bike is'nt even scratched hurrah! :D
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i always pad up i always wear elbow and fore arm protection when the going get teccy or points downhill i put my knee and shin pads on the scratches and scrapes in my pads prove to me that they are worth it..
    though i have to agree when the weather is hot things can get a tad uncomfortable and sweaty knee pads can start to rub and chaff..
  • judith_sw
    Thanks for all the replies!

Any suggestions on good girlie ones - they don't need to be pink, but maybe not too heavyweight? I'll also have a look at the poll.

I agree with what is being said about daring to do more and being more confident in body armour - I also rock climb and it's amazing what difference a helmet and bombproof protecyion makes!
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    Hi

Brand X seem to be a very popular choice for knee/shin pads. Also see 661.
  • judith_sw
    Any thoughts on Race Face Rally FR? Quite expensive but excellent reviews.
  • Anonymous
    race face sizing seems smaller than you'd expect. apart from that, well made stuff.
  • judith_sw
    Tempted to try the Race Face knee/shin guards (M - I'm 5'7) + Lizard Skins Elbow Guards (M). The price on Wiggle seems competitive.

Is there much benefit in going for the extra forearm protection? I'm not trying to do anything extreme, but just wanting to go a bit faster / preserve some skin for that inevitable airborne moment ...

Thanks for the continued input - will probably order in the morning, if I can make my mind up.
  • Thewaylander
    i personaly might leave elbow and forearm out,

alot of people round here use the 661 race lights as well for the shin and knee combo, looking at replacing my old pair with some
  • judith_sw
    Why would you be tempted to leave out the elbow guards? I must admit that I was wondering the same. I have very little experience of falls - cracked my ankle stopping badly a few years ago, but that was a road bike in a gravel carpark!

I've seen some iffy reviews about 661 slippage/comfort ... Race Face are more expensive, but seem to have rave reviews - maybe OTT. (I'm a girl - Ineed to wear skirts in this fine weather without colleagues thinking I've been abused, so maybe Race Face is a good idea :oops: ).

:lol: :twisted: :lol:
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    judith_sw wrote:
    Any thoughts on Race Face Rally FR? Quite expensive but excellent reviews.

Absolutely excellent, love mine - as already stated RaceFace gear does tend to come up a bit small so get the next size up from what you think you'll need. Their knee and shin pads are superb, they actually rest on top of your foot so they don't slide down or rotate.

They can be a bit sweaty in really hot weather but I think that it's a small price to pay for decent protection.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Thewaylander
    fare enough, never ridden with the race face's but might look at them myself.

as for forearm and elbow pads, i think its a question of choosing where to stop you could go all the way up to body armour, but where does it get to heavy and hot. In the end i smash my shins and knees all the time, but alot less of my elbows, as often you hit your hands. its down to the individual.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    i use 661 racelites - not had a problem with them slipping and as long as you dont do the straps too tight then i dont get huge marks on my legs from them.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time