1st Clipless Moment

Max_Man
Max_Man Posts: 185
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Oops, coming to a set of lights in busy traffic, lights had been red for a good while, thought I could track stand for the last few seconds, how wrong I was....next thing I'm lying on the ground, face as red as a beetroot..... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Couple of new scratches on my bike, no damage though.

Comments

• drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Was it in front of a packed bus stop? It always is.
  • I still haven't had a proper clipless fall yet, although I nearly had a couple last time I was out.

I was sitting at some traffic lights with one foot clipped on. I went to scratch my chin and leaned to the right and nearly fell. Luckily there was a crash barrier to grab on to.

The second time was when I was coming to a junction. There was a car coming from the right, and I thought that I could just stop pedalling and roll forward, rather than completely stop and unclip, but I ended up slowing down too much and just managed to get my foot out in time.

The third time was also at a junction similar to the second time, but I couldn't get my foot out. I had to put my hand on to a car's bonnet in order to stay up.

As you can imagine, I have started unclipping more rather than chance anything. :P
  • Mike Lyon
    Mike Lyon Posts: 9
    I'm just pushing my luck and trying to float about at junctions whilst clipped in. Thy time will come.
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    My missus has had about 6 so far. She sees the funny side as long as it's not in a dangerous situation.
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    never had a fall on them yet - Touch Wood !! - but when leaving a junction on a hill and pushing off my foot did not click in and as I turned the pedals my foot slipped forward and I sat on the top tube forceably - OUCH :shock:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I must be lucky I havent fell off ones yet since I started using clipless pedals for the first time about 6 days ago :P
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    willhub wrote:
    I must be lucky I havent fell off ones yet since I started using clipless pedals for the first time about 6 days ago :P

Took me nearly 4 weeks..... :twisted:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    hehe, I must admit I havent mastered clipping in whilst standing still, I can only do it as I start moving.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I came off at very slow speed just after putting my drinks bottle back in the holder - looking down went into a bit of a wobble, tried to unclip and went sideways - admitedly practically walking pace at that point (end of a long uphill section).
  • sem69
    sem69 Posts: 106
    Max_Man wrote:
    Oops, coming to a set of lights in busy traffic, lights had been red for a good while, thought I could track stand for the last few seconds, how wrong I was....next thing I'm lying on the ground, face as red as a beetroot..... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Couple of new scratches on my bike, no damage though.

I did exactly the same thing! Been using clipless pedals for a week and fallen off once already. I didn't even take my hands of the bars as I fell, just fell over sideways whilst completely staionary. Must have looked a right idiot!!
  • wors
    wors Posts: 90
    dislocated my sholder the first (and only) time i did it! Unless theres a barrier to hold onto, i just unlip now!
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    I had 3 falls and hope that's my lot. The first stopping at a red light while cycling with a mate. The red light was for a crowded pedestrian crossing and people openly laughed and pointed! :oops: Second time I was stopping outside a shop and fell and hit my head on a parked van (I had a helmet on and nobody saw), and the third and worst time, I was on my own driveway, I'd learned enough to unclip well in advance of stopping, and just as I leaned to the left to finally stop and put my foot down I heard a 'click'... I'd clipped back in accidentally. Hit the garden wall on the way down and had some painful bumps and scrapes - and had the rage you can only get from being stripped of all dignity! Haven't had a problem since then as I tend to unclip completely on both sides and pedal with my tiptoes whenever there's a chance I might have to stop!
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I bought my first set of clipless pedals on Tuesday, and now I'm scared of fitting them to the bike! :D

I remember the first time I strapped myself to my pedals with cleats and toe-clips though. It was 1986, I was on my nice new Peugeot bike and for the first time I strapped down my Caratti shoes as I cycled through town. Came to a set of red lights, stopped... then realised I couldn't get my feet out of the clips & straps. Luckily, I fell towards the pavement, but I didn't half feel a pudding! In 20+ years I've never had another moment, but I anticipate one while I get used to the new clipless jobbies.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • 2Fast4Love
    2Fast4Love Posts: 123
    Having used my SPD's for 2-3 weeks without issue, I was thinking "I'm never going to have a 'moment' on these!"

Out for a ride this afternoon, went past a turning & realised I actually wanted to go up that road, so slowed right down & did a u-turn.... realised there wasn't going to be enough room, tried to unclip - no joy - bumped into the pavement at about 3mph, and down I went. :oops:

In my haste to get up before anyone saw me, I tried to stand, but then discovered that both feet were still clipped in :roll: , then frantically trying to unclip either foot I managed to get the left foot free.... but I was lying on the deck on my right hand side, still straddling the bike, so that was no use to me either. fs!

No damage to the bike (obviously!) but the right pedal (which is the one I always unclip coming up to lights etc) doesn't clip in as easily anymore, and doesn't seem to have that reassuring "click" that you get when it locks in? Can't see anything obvious thats wrong, am I just imagining it???
    Rides a Cannondale Synapse 105.