Could you recommend me some 28mm 700C tyres?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,870
edited May 2008 in Tour & expedition
Chaps,

looking to convert my Highway one into a tourer/winter bike.

I don't want to go wider than 28mm, and suspect 25 might be a bit narrow.

What do you think of these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360010650&n=Vittoria%20Vittoria%20Randonneur%20Cross%20Hybrid%20Tyre
vittoria%20randonneur%20cross.jpg

Or these:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360025223&n=Vittoria%20Vittoria%20Randonneur%20Tyre
vittoria%20randonneur.jpg

I do want speed, but I also want grip, and a bit of capacity to do a bit of gentle off roading, as in a canal path for example, so maybe a little bit cyclo cross stylee.
Don't 'need' amazing puncture resistance, but more would be better than less.
Is it a good idea to invest in some kevlar tape that goes between the tyre and the tube, or better to put the money straight into the tyre itself?

Would appreciate your personal experiences about tyres you have used.

Many thanks!

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• daniel_b
    :shock: Nobody uses 28mm for touring then?

So what tyres do you use when you go out?

Thanks

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    We 28mm Vittoria Zaffiros on the tandem. 120psi, grip well, no p-words as yet..

They do start to crack slightly at the tread-sidewall interface after a time, probably as we use and store them at their max pressure, or perhaps due to the tandem's all-up weight.

Ribble have (had?) them for a fiver.
  • Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    Also I'd recommend Panaracer Paselas in 28mm (though they come up a bit skimpy - more like a 25). Have covered many miles of laden touring on these.

Fast rolling, good puncture protection, last for ever - I'm currently trying to use up some very old ones on the turbo, but they just keep going.
  • nun
    nun Posts: 434
    Schwalbe Marathons come in a 622-28 and have a very god reputation in the touring community, but I've heard that they run a bit big and they may be too heavy for you. I use Rivendell Ruffy Tuffys. They do what a tyre should do ie I don't really notice them; they don't flat, have a kevlar belt, they're foldable and are good on the raod and for light off road too.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I'd happily reccommend both the Vittoria Randoneurs and the Panaracer Paselas. Both are ideal for touring and have very good punc**re resistance.

IMO the Vittorias are slightly more comfortable over long distances, fully laden. I'm on my third set.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • daniel_b
    Thankyou very much chaps!

Looks like it's between the Vittoria's and the Paselas then.

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    Steve928 wrote:
    Also I'd recommend Panaracer Paselas in 28mm (though they come up a bit skimpy - more like a 25). Have covered many miles of laden touring on these.

Fast rolling, good puncture protection, last for ever - I'm currently trying to use up some very old ones on the turbo, but they just keep going.

Another vote for Panaracers. Ive used them for 2 - 3 years. I've completed a 120km AUdax ride on a rear tyre that was worn to the canvas - aided and abetted by a bottom bracket dynamo. I've had very few punctures and their skimpiness is no more apparently - they aren't so ambitious with their widths anymore according to Spa Cycles.

I've done over fifty 100km Audaxes plus a LEJOG, a JOGLE and a Channel to Med ride using Paselas. They are very reliable and relatively puncture free.
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Rode around Oz on Marathon Plus 28's. Not a single visit from a fairy since I put them on.
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K