taking my bike apart

lexiekay
lexiekay Posts: 379
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
I took the chain of my bike the other day to clean it, when i came to put it back on again I struggled for ages before realising that the power link bits were the wrong way round :oops:
What I really want to do is take the whole chainset etc apart to clean that, but I have no idea how to, and I'm not sure what tools I'd need. I have got some basic tools, but nothing really specific to bikes yet. Any tips? I have a tendency to take things apart and then not be able to put them back together, and I really want to learn some basic maintenance things. Is there a useful book with non-technical terms, or would it be better to do a course? Thanks :D

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Park tools site is pretty easy, and a good friendly local shop cah often give good advice, check out ryders in Cwmcarn when you are there,

There are 2 tools i think for removing the exteral BB and cranks, and hg/IG cassete tool and chain whipe are your main drive train tools i think.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Zinn is probably a good start if you want a book, perhaps easier for a beginner than the Park book.

Offtopic: Where is Ryders in relation to Cwncarn? I'll have to check it out.
  • Thewaylander
    Uhm as depends which way you come in its just in the town near by,

easiest way to say as you come out of forest drive onto the road heading to the little round about, turn right into cwmcarn, drive past a few shops till you see the post office and turn right up the hill, you will see it on your right. guy who runs it is very friendly, and gives solid advice.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Ive still not been to Ryders yet,I must remember to pop in and have a look !
  • lexiekay
    thanks for the tips - might try ryders if theres time on Wednesday :D
  • Thewaylander
    Im lucky in this we are all MTBers in my house and between i think we have 95% of all tools in various stages of mess in our garage, can solve just about anything, just need an avid bleed kit for me lol
  • lexiekay
    lucky for you - about the most technical item my housemate has is a set of hair straighteners....! Its my birthday coming up so i asked the parents for a tool kit :lol: they werent impressed!
  • Thewaylander
    Makes sence, good practical present not just for your bike. everyone should have some good tools for odd jobs, just as a MTBer you want more
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    you dont really need to take off the chainset to clean it, i use an old tea-towel and sandwich it between the chainrings then saw it back n forth, course shift the chain to the inner or outer depending on what one you're doing. then i use bogroll to just wipe all the teeth clean, just take your time and it's possible to do to a pretty good job, cheap too no special cleaner, though i am using dry waxy kind of lube (finish line cross country dry lube) on the chain i guess that helps too.

best book i reckon to get is - "Zinn and the art of Mountain bike maintenance".
    Parktool - "Big blue book of bicycle reapair" is a good companion for Zinn's too.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    zinn is a good book with clear instuctions..

have you not tried one of those chain baths they cheap easy to use and keep your chain imaculate.. i always use a chain bath to clean my chain this way you dont have to remove the chain you dont even have to get your hands dirty just clamp it on the chain add the cleaning fluid and back pedal the bike till the chain is clean. then wipe it. re oil then go ride.