Focus Cayo or Planet X Sl carbon?

ahapps
ahapps Posts: 4
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
I am thinking of upgrading my current bike to either the Focus Cayo (with Ultegra SL) or the new Planet X Dura-Ace build. I currently have a Focus Variado so am currently leaning towards getting the Focus as I know what size will fit and I have been really happy with it. I am also a little concerned about the compact nature of the Planet X and whether or not it will be comfortable for rides of around 120 miles (each day for 7 days!) as I will be using it for a charity ride that I have organised. Would it be worth trying to find the extra cash to get something like the Roubaix Expert.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Comments

• huwy
    huwy Posts: 91
    This is quite a common problem especially between these two bikes, one which I went through myself a few months ago.
    There a lot's of posts on this topic and if you have a Focus already and you like it that seems to me to be a good reason to stay with the brand, i have seen the Planet x bike and it is nice for my own situation I went with the Cayo as I felt the Planet x was a little too compact for me - my Cayo has been fantastic and I have been very impressed with it - Good luck
  • huwy
    huwy Posts: 91
    I've now spotted your in Hants as well - your more than welcome to take a look at mine it has been tweaked though 8)
  • ahapps
    ahapps Posts: 4
    Thanks for your reply. Still haven't decided... A bit more research required I think.
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    Have you considered the Dolan?

Check JE James Cycles, I was in there last week and they have some amazing deals on the Giant Carbon 07/08 bikes. Some were half price! You could get a £2k machine for your budget.
  • schilbach
    schilbach Posts: 101
    I've a Focus Cayo and am amazed at how comfortable it is for a 'race' bike!
  • schilbach
    schilbach Posts: 101
    I've a Focus Cayo and am amazed at how comfortable it is for a 'race' bike!
  • ellesse
    ellesse Posts: 103
    Go for the focus, i've got the Planet X and TBH i don't really like it,
    plus the cassette body is the wrong type.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    ellesse wrote:
    Go for the focus, i've got the Planet X and TBH i don't really like it,
    plus the cassette body is the wrong type.

That's interesting, I've not really heard any negative comments about the PX. What don't you like about it?
  • ellesse
    ellesse Posts: 103
    "not really heard any negative comments about the PX" = my main reason for buying it.

Just dosn't suit me i guess, had it looked at by a bike fitter which said its the right size and everything, he recommended to go for a 90mm stem from a 110 which made it a bit better, the seat is uncomfortable (and it was an upgrade from the original (extra £) as the original was out of stock)
    Creaks when putting the power down.
    The cranks (FSA Gosimer) don't spin freely.
    can't go into the last two rings on the cassette when on the 34 ring upfront (yes i have tried to adjust it)

And this is all comparing it to an old Alu road bike which costs half the amount of the extra wheels i bought from PX as well.

Please be aware that this is my own experience and does not mean that every PX is like the one i have.